Crit My Soundtrack In Progress

Started by
24 comments, last by Calum Bowen 11 years, 1 month ago
Thanks man!

Incidentally, I'd love to hear your experienced take on balancing music & SFX.

Do problems arise from SFX which are in the same frequency band of prominent parts in your track. E.g. A bell-like coin sound vs. a glockenspiel?

You mentioned panning - I would suggest (unless you had an engine that would pan SFX in relation to the players position) that SFX should be generally kept in the centre of the stereo field. Do you suggest widening (using a spreader or stereo enhancer) them for give them more presence?

I think, in my experience, music can be a lot quieter than the composer probably thinks it should be, particularly in films! I noticed myself for a long time not realising just how "under" your underscore should be! So balance volume-wise between music & sfx is also key!

Any other tidbits of information about the process of balancing SFX & Music (this is really open to anyone)? It'd be greatly appreciated on my part and hopefully to anyone else listening.
Calum Bowen,
Composer & Sound Designer,
www.calumbowen.com
Advertisement
A little more digging as I've got a new track done:

https://soundcloud.com/calumbowen/super-ubi-land-frost-fandango

Frosty and lively with a slippery time sig : ). I really wanted to try and incorporate a lot of things into this one and had a lot of fun trying to keep it cohesive. There's wub bass in a 5/4 mario style cheery beat which goes into some trap/electronic stuff and somehow finds itself in a marchy waltz and back again : ) I had a particularly tough time figuring how I'd change key and then return for the loop but it all came together in the end.

">

Here it is in-game. There's a a bonus level theme in there which has been changed now but feedback generally would be wonderful.

Thanks again!

EDIT: Moritz's soundcloud comment reminded me to mention that this is, again, a variation on the main theme! I've tried to put at least one directly derivative track in each world's new style.
Calum Bowen,
www.calumbowen.com

Haha I love the fun and creativity in this music. Wish I could put together such light-hearted sounding stuff, still working on it...

Only thing I'd say is in your first post (I know that was a long time ago) the vocals should be much more at the front of the mix. As it is they collide with other elements which are not as catchy.

5/4 is daring and you pull it off well, nice work.

Only thing I'd say is in your first post (I know that was a long time ago) the vocals should be much more at the front of the mix. As it is they collide with other elements which are not as catchy.

do you mean in the main theme or the others? I was conscious not to make the vocals too loud in the others since when they were up front, they kind of made it feel like it wasn't level music anymore - a little bit too distracting in my opinion.

Another track down! Bonus level: https://soundcloud.com/calumbowen/super-ubi-land-bonus-boogie

Calum Bowen,
www.calumbowen.com

Sorry for my absence; been caught up with a lot of depressing things, lately....

I'd have to agree with the idea of the vocals for the main theme; they seem awfully subtle for being there. Nice job, though!

Python Blue - composer available for work

Official Website
Bandcamp

This song is... GORGEOUS!

https://soundcloud.com/calumbowen/super-ubi-land-bonus-boogie

Ah, OK! I'll have another look at the vocals in the main theme, python.

Ah! Thanks DumaFaa!!

Got some more news:

As part of the Super Ubi Land kickstarter, I've put together a 9-track EP of some of my favourite tracks from the OST so far (including 3 unreleased secret tracks!) There's also piano sheet music inside and a little thank you pdf! The EP is available in any of the reward bundles over 10$.
Tracklist:
1. Main Theme
2. Bonus Boogie
3. Midnight Lake
4. March of The Green Lands
5. Frost Fandango
6. Shop Theme
7. ? ? ?
8. ? ? ?
9. ? ? ?
This soundtrack has been (and will continue to be) my baby for the past 8 months so I really hope those who are interested enjoy it. For those who cannot spare 10$, I've put up the main theme for free download from now until monday! Click here to download while you still can!
Apologies for a potentially spammy post, anything involving money seems to come off as a bit of a sales pitch. I hope everyone enjoys the music whether they pledge or not! :~D
(apologies to those of you also on TIGs who have already seen this :~D)

Calum
Calum Bowen,
www.calumbowen.com
Nice idea to sell the soundtrack with the Kickstarter campaign! I'll consider buying it if I can afford to help out, myself.
Python Blue - composer available for work

Official Website
Bandcamp

Nice idea to sell the soundtrack with the Kickstarter campaign! I'll consider buying it if I can afford to help out, myself.

Thanks so much Python! :~)

Calum Bowen,
www.calumbowen.com

I'm of the opinion that vocal melodies should always be the main focus when they are used. It's human instinct to want to focus on voices over other sounds, so you should let listeners do this. Perhaps the vocal could be at the front in the main theme, like at the beginning of the game, but absent during gameplay. Putting vocals to the back of a mix is just a bit frustrating - you find yourself straining to hear them. The exception is choral sounds with an orchestra, which blend together very nicely.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement