It's official: western citizen granted asylum from western tyrants

Started by
71 comments, last by way2lazy2care 11 years, 8 months ago
http://www.guardian....wsaboutbadnewsi

Like the guy says: this is common knowledge. I do admire him for his wishful thinking, which is a whole lot better than naive thinking.

And let's be perfectly honest about why bad news really sells: it makes us feel holier than thou.
Advertisement

Ok, so your point is that the US should be investigating Assange? Ok, good, they are. I'm not sure why you decided to argue this point so fervently when no-one suggested the opposite.

Half of your post seems to be implying that the US has no right to even investigate or assuming that their investigation will result in an illegal charge against him. That's a totally illegitimate thing to assume. The political fallout for an investigation of that magnitude resulting in an illegal verdict would end the careers of pretty much anyone involved.

All of your posts in this thread, except the last few have been presenting falsehoods as facts!! That is not a perspective issue -- you've been making statements that are provably false, which is not "just stating known facts".
[/quote]
The majority of what I've been posting is facts. The fact that I don't sensationalize them to a degree that you feel is more accurate is what you have a problem with (see the timeline of events for the rape investigation for the two of us. They are near identical except that yours just paints him as totally innocent and not having to follow EU law).

Here is a quote from you earlier:

(800+ days of naked 23-hour a day solitary confinement, and being put on suicide watch by a general, against the advice of psychologists)[/quote]
He wasn't in solitary confinement or naked for 800 days. Clearly you've been posting nothing but facts in all of your posts from the beginning of this thread though. As I said, go back and read your posts if you're going to be so critical.

He clearly left Sweden after the investigation started and refuses to return.[/quote]No, this is absolutely false (see above - he left after the case was closed). Where did you get this idea?[/quote][/quote]
^^^^ I don't know why there is a line break here.

No. This is absolutely true. My statement that you call false is one of the most provably true statements in this entire thread.

"Ms Rosander says the investigation into the molestation charge will continue but it is not a serious enough crime for an arrest warrant."

Do you really think that destroying the 1961 vienna convention is less important than some celebrity sex scandal?[/quote]
This is begging the question that they'd actually invoke the law before having grounds to do so. I honestly don't think they'd do anything to the embassy while Assange is inside anyway unless Ecuador or Assange break international law. He'd have to re-enter English territory to get anywhere from the embassy/diplomatic vehicles, and they could just grab him then. Unless he's going to indefinitely run his life out of the Ecuadorian embassy, which I don't see him doing.

I also think that the actual threat was overblown. Not to say it wasn't threatening in any way, but the severity of it was overblown.

Here is the text
"You need to be aware that there is a legal base in the UK, the Diplomatic and Consular Premises Act 1987, that would allow us to take actions in order to arrest Mr Assange in the current premises of the Embassy. We need to reiterate that we consider the continued use of the diplomatic premises in this way incompatible with the Vienna Convention and unsustainable and we have made clear the serious implications that this has for our diplomatic relations."

More likely I think Assange is going to do/say something soon that's going to force Ecuador to withdraw asylum, and England will take him into custody then.

Upon what are you basing your opinion that the Wikileaks cables have directly put people in danger where the (same) NYT cables haven't?[/quote]
If publishing them was illegal, why isn't the NYT being charged?[/quote]
Nobody, including Assange, has been charged with anything yet. Why are charges/guilt of NYT vs Assange relevant? They've both, to date, been treated identically, with the exception that one is totally paranoid.

For some reason the line break up there ^^^ made me add a quote. I put it here to make it the least distracting.
None of this seems at all suspicious to you?[/quote]
I never said it didn't, but extraditing him to Sweden doesn't make him any less safe than he would have been in the UK really. Does it not seem suspicious that he'd so fervently avoid being questioned further on a sex scandal? You're ready to tout the assumption of innocence when it comes to Assange, but why shouldn't it be granted for a country that's taken no formal position on or has any provable direct influence on the events taking place yet?

There. That is every question you've asked of me in this thread. I'm sure you won't be satisfied with the answers, but I never expected you to be, which is why I avoided them.
For some reason the post I just posted hit format hell. Trying to repost to fix formatting, will remove whichever one doesn't work.

edit: no dice :(

For some reason the post I just posted hit format hell. Trying to repost to fix formatting, will remove whichever one doesn't work.

laugh.png I think your formatting hell is the funniest thing from this thread
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
Since some folks don't know international law, L'll leave this link here ... this law gives England legal authority to dissolve diplomatic immunity, and go into the embassy .
"" Diplomatic and Consular Premises Act of 1987 ""
https://www.google.com/search?q=Diplomatic+and+Consular+Premises+Act+of+1987

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Since some folks don't know international law, L'll leave this link here ... this law gives England legal authority to dissolve diplomatic immunity, and go into the embassy .
"" Diplomatic and Consular Premises Act of 1987 ""
https://www.google.c...ses Act of 1987

And will be the first time in history that the Vienna convention will be broken. Very bad press for UK.
This is worth reading:
http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/david-allen-green/2012/08/legal-myths-about-assange-extradition

This is worth reading:
http://www.newstates...nge-extradition

Allthough its still worth noting that sweden has, fairly recently sent 2 people off with the CIA to be tortured in egypt despite it being highly illegal to do so, We do what the US wants us to do and if it is illegal well... we just try not to let anyone know before its too late and then our security police just uses the "incompetence" defense as usual.

I personally would feel alot safer in England than in Sweden, While it might be easier for England to send you off to the US Sweden is far more likely to just send you off. ... somewhere ...
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

Allthough its still worth noting that sweden has, fairly recently sent 2 people off with the CIA to be tortured in egypt despite it being highly illegal to do so, We do what the US wants us to do and if it is illegal well... we just try not to let anyone know before its too late and then our security police just uses the "incompetence" defense as usual.

I personally would feel alot safer in England than in Sweden, While it might be easier for England to send you off to the US Sweden is far more likely to just send you off. ... somewhere ...

While I won't dismiss it as impossible, I think if Sweden did it with such a high profile target it would have huge political fallout.

In regards to my link, mostly I posted it to show points 3/4. People underestimate the political impact/usefulness of guaranteeing that someone not be extradited to a country that you have an extradition treaty with. There's also been a good amount of assumptions that either an extradition request by the US wouldn't be reviewed thoroughly by the UK/Sweden (or granted just by virtue of being submitted) before a decision was come to.

I also think if Sweden were to try to just send him off somewhere, they'd probably just say, "Sure we won't extradite you!" then keep their part of the bargain by not extraditing him and sending him off somewhere. :P

1: - Lets see how much you like if is some one puts YOUR life, and the lives of YOUR family in danger in the name of "freedom of information".

This is effect of propaganda. The families are in danger and Assange gets hanged on a square. Awesome.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement