Java Slick - Number of States

Started by
2 comments, last by David.M 11 years, 8 months ago
I'm terribly new at this. (Both for programming and the community here)
So, this black magic you call programming, I've been trying to summon a demon using Slick, but it seems that I need more information to conjure the next big hit in the industry. (In reality, I'm an apprentice summoner and will likely be slaughtered at the sight of anything bigger than a half-dead squirrel in a wheelchair.)

Anyways, while I'm still taking the baby steps, I've been playing around with Slick in Java.
There's a fairly wide variety of questions, just something I've tried to locate but miserably failed or couldn't find a source I could comprehend. (Hence, black magic)

1)

Are there any limitations as to the number of states one can have at a given time.

I like to have my "code.." (no, let's keep with "scribbles") neatly packed, namely in packages. And quite a lot of classes within them.

2)

Is there any reason not to use lots of packages? They make things so neat and tidy. And I'd really like to try to keep my... scribbles clean.

Classes, similar question, although this one might be too vague.

3)

Is it alright to use classes to just store and give data to other places? (I'll try to give an example to get a little tighter area. Say I got a town. Town has a population, certain building and their 'levels', Natural resources and crafted production. Is it alright to use one class to only hold this information and their getMethod() thingies?

4)

Tooltips! Actually, how can I show multiple states at the same time, if at all possible? (I recon the tooltips wouldn't need it's own state anyways, but say an... pff Action bar like thing that would show information one would need in almost all states.)

Hopefully you understand them.
Thanks in advance
Advertisement
Welcome to the joys of game programming! The community here and on the slick forums are great places to ask questions.

1. The only limitations to the number of states you can have is the max for the data type you use. You won't ever overflow an int with states.

2. Whatever helps you organize and work better is what you should be doing. If you use a lot of classes and packages and it helps you stay organized and works well then by all means use a lot.

3. You can. These will be useful in superclasses (Sprite or Entity that can be extended). If you have to you can even use classes with static members such as an Assets class.

4. I'm not sure what you mean. Why would you need to show multiple states? If you want to display some text when you hover over an item you can do that programmatically in each state individually with no problem.
Thanks a lot for the answers. Got what I wanted, which is awesome by any standard.
As for the fourth question, you're probably right. If need be, I can just add the base stuff to the template file I got.
Just thought if there were any awesome ways to make a "permanent" bar to hold information.
Like a Tip or Help class that holds tips and help for all the states? That would be possible but you would still have to hardcode the values into that class so I don't think it would really help a lot.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement