What is to choose through

Started by
3 comments, last by Serapth 11 years, 8 months ago
Guys I am beginner in the game development and i meant i didn't developed a game yet , But I know some programming languages little (C,python,php)

Me and my friend wants to make a game website and i want your help to choose me the language and platform to develop "online" gaming website....

It should be LIGHT WEIGHT so I think i can use HTML-5 but some of my friends says it will not produce better animations so use FLASH & ACTION-SCRIPT but it will make the server more costly !!! so what can i do for it ....

what i have to do ???
Advertisement

but some of my friends says it will not produce better animations so use FLASH & ACTION-SCRIPT

I'm not 100% sure what your friends mean by "better animations," but there are HTML 5 games already out there with smooth animations, so that shouldn't be a problem.

However, good gameplay is far more important than what language the game was written in, so perhaps at this point you should be focusing on the types of games you want to write, then decide what language and platform would be best for it. If you're very new to game development, it's a bit premature to be worrying about the price of the server you will be hosting your website on.
Client side only ( aka, if your game has no server ), wont affect your hosting cost in the slightest between Flash and SWF.

HTML5 is certainly the future, while Flash is certainly more capable. The biggest flaw with HTML5 is audio handling, which frankly it sucks at. Most audio libraries actually fall back on Flash when it is available. I've recently done a tutorial series on Cocos2D HTML5, a JavaScript port of the popular Cocos2D game engine, and the experience was mostly a positive. Unless you have advanced audio requirements, HTML5 is probably the way to go. Use a library though, let someone else deal with all of the various browser bugs, of which there are a freaking ton. As to picking a library, this list should get you started.

Of course, Flash would work too, but Flash's future on the web is remarkably questionable. In fact, just this week Adobe pulled the Flash player from the Android market place, so Flash on Android and iOS is effectively dead.
so going with HTML5 is best ???

If you're very new to game development, it's a bit premature to be worrying about the price of the server you will be hosting your website on.

approx how much the server rates will be for a 100 active visitors ???

so going with HTML5 is best ???

It isn't that simple; what's better, orange or lilac?

Is HTML5 a good choice, yes.

As to your how much, again, it isn't that simple.

If you are just serving a few static webpages, you can get by with a cutrate ISP that will charge you between 0$-10$ a month.
If you need more control, or want server side access, you need to go the dedicated or virtual dedicated route, which tends to be more in the 50-100$ a month range.
If you want a full blown server, you will pay about 100-300$ a month. Of course options like Amazon EC2, Softlayer, etc exist
This is just the tip of the iceburg, and again is way premature.

Also, 100 active viewers is nothing, will cost you nothing and you can get by with the minimum of everything.
100 concurrent viewers, that's a different story. That is, handling 100 requests at the same time.

That said, get a free/cheap host, write your game, and worry about these details later.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement