Torque 3D will go open source

Started by
13 comments, last by FableFox 11 years, 7 months ago
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTE4MTE

Neat, will have a look at that. MIT license should allow pretty much anything.
Advertisement
Pretty awesome. I like the MIT license - about as truly open source as you can get.
([size=2]I use LGPL libraries, but I dislike the GPL license for libraries because of the linking ambiguity - for actual programs it's fine though)
Kind of surprised about this, but I certainly welcome it. I mean see how big a community the Ogre engine has.

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education"

Albert Einstein

"It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education"

Albert Einstein

I love how they say its the best game engine in the world. If so then why do so many people hate it so much????

I love how they say its the best game engine in the world. If so then why do so many people hate it so much????

Well if I do a google search on any engine I will find lovers and haters. Also Torque has been used by many people through the last ten years so therefore the amount of lovers and haters should be pretty huge. Personally I like it and so do many people I communicate with on GG web. It does have its quirks and flaws but so do other engines too.

However, no engine is the best in the world but access to the source codes is a nice thing for me at the moment. And now where I can do pretty much everything I want without being sued with the MIT license I am even more happy about this(well even with the old EULA I was pretty free). In the end it is just a tool.

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education"

Albert Einstein

"It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education"

Albert Einstein

Note that they actually claim to be "the best open source game technology".

There aren't very many comprehensive game engines in the open-source world (it's mostly middleware packages like Ogre). Crystal Space, Delta 3D, and the Blender Game engine may be their only real competition for that title.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

[quote name='6677' timestamp='1347475107' post='4979407']

Note that they actually claim to be "the best open source game technology".

There aren't very many comprehensive game engines in the open-source world (it's mostly middleware packages like Ogre). Crystal Space, Delta 3D, and the Blender Game engine may be their only real competition for that title.
[/quote]

I have the torque 3d for a long time and I can safely say: Torque 3D is the best open source game engine solution available.

it render enginer is great than Ogre 3D, network lib is state of art... have many bugs, but open source now...Probably this will revolutionize games engine projects.
Maybe the reason people hate it so much was the history of the engine early on. When people actually spent money on the engine, helping your company (the original 100,000 raise - to buy the engine from their publisher, I think) in order to sell it along with source....

when someone asked this "where is the documentation?"
"the source code IS the documentation" is NOT a good answer.

They could have been the next Unity, or UDK even (remember: the engine was used on AAA game, backed by a large publisher). But it ended up being sold by company after company, including InstantAction.

You can feel the ironies that Game Maker (Mark Overmars / Yoyo Games) are more stable and last longer than Garage Games. And The Games Creators too.

With Unity being free, (and so is UDK to an extent), Garage Games is losing out. What is the point of buying an engine if you could just download UDK and see if you can actually finish a game in the first place. Or that the game is worthy of commercial release.

But even though now that the engine is relased as MIT, I'm not sure if it already too late.

Now that I just go to garagegames.com and follow the 'Documentation' link, I not sure if this project will go off the ground.

I mean, how far is Crystal Space go actually after all these years?

Sigh....
Are we against one-word answers on Gamedev? Or may I encapsulate all my feelings about this with "meh".

I mean, how far is Crystal Space go actually after all these years?

Have you actually used T3D for any significant amount of time? Having used both, comparing Crystal Space with T3D is really apples and oranges.
Their documentation is somewhat weak though, I can agree with that.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement