iPhone Game Optimizations. Ultimate Guide

Started by
11 comments, last by L. Spiro 11 years, 5 months ago
I made a ppt presentation, where i described a lot of optimization best practices. Almost everything i know.
You can find it here.
Feel free to post your proposals, bug reports and feedback ;)
P.S. English isn't my native language, so i will be thankful any comments about my writing style
Advertisement
Interesting reading.
I have accumulated a vast stockpile of iOS and OpenGL ES 2.0 optimizations over several years and even I learned a few things here.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

Thanks! I plan to write few articles, that will dive deeper into optimizations described here. Probably one article per weekend or two...
A few slides were a bit ambiguous. You want to align to 4 bytes manually, or let GPU do it for you?
You have to align them manually, otherwise, driver will do it for you.
Thanks for sharing!

- Jason Astle-Adams

Thanks for sharing this. Really great read.
Thanks for the info Stix, it's quite a gold mine of information.
One tip that sounds a bit funny:
"Driver will pad your NPOT textures to next biggest POT value"
I never heard of anything like that. Just wondering it that's really true.
I did hear of a different bug regarding NPOT. If you have a NPOT width that isn't multiple of 4 it will allocate too much memory.
I meant, that your NPOT texture, that is of 480x480x32, that will eat 700kb of your client memory will be padded to 512x512x32 by the driver and will eat 800kb of "video" memory...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement