Good community / team / chat or anything really for newbies to collaborate on projects together?

Started by
18 comments, last by game of thought 11 years, 5 months ago
I am a self-taught coder. I feel what I need now is it to work with others on shared projects.I would prefer to communicate with other programmers/developers via vent, skype, or irc and get team experience.

Where would be some good places to start looking around? I am looking to volunteer for free.
Advertisement
The classified section under "Hobbyist Projects"
Hi, im in the same situation than you, if you want you can write me and talk about projects and start some sort of newbie team.

Seephirot.93@gmail.com
Sent you an e-mail Seephirot. :D Thanks for the responses so far.
I have also been looking for some hobbyist project. I'm quite new to game programming, but would like to contribute if the project is interesting. I'm currently working mostly with XNA. Feel free to contact me..
cloakedabbot@gmail.com if anyone wants to e-mail me to either join team or start one.
Hello,

if you're setting up a team, I can recommend you some software, that I've used for my personal and small projects.

VisualSVN Server - an easy to setup version control system for Windows. I'm using TortoiseSVN as client.
Trac - a collaboration, project management and wiki. There is a Version available that works with the Webserver that is installed by VisualSVN.

Good luck to all of you!
Yme,

I have done a few group projects and for your version control I would strongly suggest GitHub. My teams have used CVS , SVN , and some less popular options and when we were finnally turned on to GitHub it became some much easier and had a lot less setup and management overhead just to get to the point of being able to version your code.

They let you have 1 repository for free. The only draw back to this is the fact the repo cannot be private. For a hobbyist and learning team this may not be so bad because it is easy to ask more experienced people to take a look at your code. GitHub also has a built in issue tracker, milestone system , and wiki. As well as unlimited collaborators.

I would also suggest mumble for any voice communications, to me it works a little bit better then vent but that is whatever flavor your into.

Just my .02 cents I hope it gives you some more things to consider and hopefully help you out a bit.

Eric Ranaldi a.k.a RanBlade

[size=1]"Passion is what drives you to stay up until 4am fixing that bug that hardly anyone would notice...

[size=1]Passion is where great games come from, if you dont live and breathe games you shouldn't be in the games industry."

[size=2]- Dave Pottinger, Ensemble Studios

[size=1][GameDev][C++ Page][Unity Game Engine][Panda3D Game Engine][NeHe Productions][Drunken Hyena][MSDN][Beej's Guide to Network Programming]

[size=1][FreedBSD][My Site][Gamasutra][Khan Acadamey]

If you don't have your own server, RanBlade is probably right. It's much easier to use GitHub (really only 1 repo?), Sourceforge or whatever.

If you're running your own server already or you're in a local network it's not so hard to install your own version control system and you have much more control.
One more advantage is the with Trac you're getting milestones, tickets, timeline/roadmap, a wiki as well as web based svn-access.
They let you have 1 repository for free.[/quote]
Huh. You can have more than 1 repo on github even with a free account. I currently have two and one of my friends has like 8 or something. Private repos are, however, only available for premium accounts (but trust me - nobody is ever going to find your repository unless you promote it anyhow).

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement