lets get rid of this garbage reputation system?

Started by
35 comments, last by 21st Century Moose 11 years, 4 months ago
It is counting "daily visits as a signed in user", rather than the actual act of entering your username and password.
Advertisement
You might get the message for logging in multiple times without actually getting the points. If you get a cached version of a page that has one of the log in point notifications you'll get the notification again even if you don't get the points for logging in again.

You might get the message for logging in multiple times without actually getting the points. If you get a cached version of a page that has one of the log in point notifications you'll get the notification again even if you don't get the points for logging in again.

No, when I noticed this, I saw a jump in points.
Reputation is such an everlasting source of anger... I don't understand why, but alas. Maybe requiring everyone to click an explicit "show reputation" box in the profile (and maybe offer that as an option when registering) could help.

If you don't click that checkbox, you'll not see your reputation, nor anyone else's, nor votes on posts.

This will effectively "remove" the reputation system, unless you explicitly state that you want to see it. But then again, if you do, you have no right to complain about it.

This will effectively "remove" the reputation system, unless you explicitly state that you want to see it.

At which point the reputation system will only be used by moderators and trolls, and we'll lose whatever value we derive from it.

Opt-out isn't really a workable option. It's all or nothing.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Reputation is such an everlasting source of anger... I don't understand why, but alas.

In most online arenas, I would agree with you. This community, however, manages to do an excellent job of self-moderation and generally stays on a helpful, positive track. I don't regularly see lots of downvoting, and quite often see negative votes get wiped out by counter-dissenters. There are a lot of active people here with solid reputation scores, and it provides a lot of positive incentive to help in areas you're actually helpful in. By and large, the rep system here does specifically what it was designed to do: encourage helpful posts, and discourage unhelpful posts. It's not really a popularity thing (which was a brilliant choice to keep rep votes out of off-topic areas like the lounge) unless you consider that it's "popular" to provide correct, helpful information.
More often than not, when I see a negative score that stays negative, the post content was genuinely false, misleading, or otherwise damaging to the learning potential of the thread. Working as intended.
Those people that really get angry over it either leave, get banned, or change their approach to fit more in line with the spirit of the forum.

Hazard Pay :: FPS/RTS in SharpDX (gathering dust, retained for... historical purposes)
DeviantArt :: Because right-brain needs love too (also pretty neglected these days)

I like the reputation system. I shows me which members are the most helpful and allows me to gauge how helpful I am. It also allows me to quickly tell if the inflammatory post in my thread is due to an honest disagreement, or the result of a troll. Trolls typically have very low and/or negative reputation points, as was seen with the original poster of this thread.

My only issue is with members being given points just for logging in. It doesn't make sense (to me at least).

My only issue is with members being given points just for logging in. It doesn't make sense (to me at least).

If you manage to accumulate a significant number of points from logging in that is an indicator that you at least visit the site often, which for us does say something about you as a member of the community even if you choose to lurk. Given that upvoting a post also gives a point, one point per day from logging in isn't much. But you can definitely see right now that the easiest path to picking up lots of rep is to give helpful advice. 6-7 votes on one post could net you 18+ reputation.

When we upgrade to the newest version of our site software we're going to be relaunching and promoting community article building. The rep you can get from that will be even more significant... up to 150 points per article. (+100 points if you manage to get 5 "Peer Reviewed" votes from those with peer reviewing capabilities) We will take from the pool of members with some significant number of "Author" points and grant them that capability along with all of the moderators.

I can confirm this is correct. I need to find a way to purge the cached page if you get a rep notification. Right now I believe the page you get the notification on is cached for about 40 seconds.. so if you go back to it quick enough you get the notification again.

I got tons of points for logging in. The browser logs me in and out lots without me doing anything. Especially if I leave and come back. I might close a thread, and then come back in a new tab with my most visited site thing on the chrome blank tab and it will say I relogged, even though I never really did. *shrug*

I think the "logged in" label is a bit misleading, since most of us use cookies to automatically stay logged in. Perhaps a better name would be "daily visit" or something.

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement