Unity, yes or no?

Started by
42 comments, last by Hodgman 9 years, 6 months ago

[quote name='JonathanJ1990' timestamp='1356341579' post='5013901']
i believe unity uses a modified version of java for programming so while it would be similar to java it does have its differences
[/quote]

Just to repeat the clarification SimonForsman posted above, UnityScript is very similar to JavaScript, not Java. Other than the similar name the two languages are pretty much completely unrelated. Unfortunately the similarity of the names causes a lot of confusion, so it's important to note the difference.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Advertisement

I've done professional development with Unity and here's what I think: Unity is awesome if you're creating a prototype or if your project is small. I would not recommend it for a team of more than 3-4 people.

Pros

It allows you to get started quickly and make very rapid progress in the beginning.

It makes it easy for a single artist, programmer and level designer to collaborate.

Cons

It encourages poor architecture.

Large teams will have to jump through hoops to coordinate without ruining each others work.

I'm sure this opinion will be unpopular, but these are the conclusions I came to while working with Unity.

Note: we worked in C# and attempted to use Object Oriented design wherever possible.

Find Games, With Science

Crunch Magic

I've done professional development with Unity and here's what I think: Unity is awesome if you're creating a prototype or if your project is small. I would not recommend it for a team of more than 3-4 people.

Pros

It allows you to get started quickly and make very rapid progress in the beginning.

It makes it easy for a single artist, programmer and level designer to collaborate.

Cons

Large teams will have to jump through hoops to coordinate without ruining each others work.

I'm sure this opinion will be unpopular, but these are the conclusions I came to while working with Unity.

Note: we worked in C# and attempted to use Object Oriented design wherever possible.

I too was going to point out that Unity is difficult for coordinating projects, unless you want to add on the Unity Asset Server for another $500. If you want to develop for every platform expect to pay over $5000. If you do go with unity, code in C# as its a standardized language. If you decide to move onto other IDE you can use the code or what you learned of C# directly.

[quote name='Alan C' timestamp='1356370423' post='5013979']

If you do go with unity, code in C# as its a standardized language. If you decide to move onto other IDE you can use the code or what you learned of C# directly
[/quote]

I'd say code with whatever you want. There aren't a whole lot of differences between UnityScript and C#. Choose one, roll with it, and learn the other if you want it later. UnityScript can be a bit easier for new programmers, so I'd suggest it; it'll fix some stuff by itself instead of bugging you about it, and that can ease the frustration a bit for new programmers.

Also, I often see people saying that the language you use doesn't affect your game's performance, so don't fret about that when choosing your language.

[quote name='waylonflinn' timestamp='1356361406' post='5013948']

[/quote]

I'd appreciate it if you'd elaborate on that a bit, as I'm kind of wondering what you mean by it, and other people might be in the future as well.

[quote name='jbadams' timestamp='1356345167' post='5013909']

UnityScript is very similar to JavaScript,
[/quote]

I'm not a JavaScript expert (or anywhere close to it), but from the little I know of using JavaScript, it seems like there are only a few syntax similarities between JavaScript and UnityScript (which is probably what you were referring to).

I'd just like to point out (to be clear to future readers) that using UnityScript with Unity will probably be a lot different than using JavaScript with web development. The only similarities you'll find would be typing "var" when declaring variables, and little things like that, which are syntax similarities.

[twitter]Casey_Hardman[/twitter]

Not entirely relevant, but I'll post it here just in case the parties in question happen to stumble on by.

A few weeks back I downloaded Unity to see what people were talking about. I was summarily unimpressed by the website, which looked like an advertisement rather than a distribution point for an IDE.

I ran the installer and it told me I had to register in order to use it, so I clicked cancel and deleted it.

~fin~

void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.
Not entirely relevant, but I'll post it here just in case the parties in question happen to stumble on by.

A few weeks back I downloaded Unity to see what people were talking about. I was summarily unimpressed by the website, which looked like an advertisement rather than a distribution point for an IDE.

I ran the installer and it told me I had to register in order to use it, so I clicked cancel and deleted it.

~fin~

Your loss...?

Seriously, what's so bad about having to register?

Yeah, I get the feeling I didn't lose much, tbh.

The real question in my mind is why they need my personal information.

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Many reasons, one of the more important ones being there is a $100 000 maximum annual income limit with the free version. Make more then that, and you have to buy pro. Also, since its the same download for both free and pro, having you log in is their way of telling whether you should have access to pro features or not.

There are other things, like access to the asset store, though you could argue that it should only require you to log in if you actually try to access it.

EDIT:

It's also a convenience feature. By having you log in, it can figure out all the licenses you have access too. Buy a new license for android? No problem, just restart Unity, and it will be there.

This is absolutely not a marketing strategy which I would wish to enourage. That's actually a great example of why I don't give out my information.

If Unity was scamming or doing something undesirable with the registration details they got, wouldn't we know by now from the thousands and thousands of other people who gave them those details?

I didn't even remember that I had registered with Unity until you mentioned it. The only indicator of it for me was a couple nice emails I got from them, talking about Unity 4 and stuff. I don't see why it's such a big deal.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement