IDE?

Started by
17 comments, last by Stroppy Katamari 11 years, 3 months ago

I worked at a place that gave out Visual Assist X licenses like candy. Perhaps this is my lack of experience with large C++ project--we were using it with a gigantic C# project--but I didn't really see the point. All it seemed to do was bog my system down for tools that we wouldn't have needed if the chucklehead architect on the project hadn't tried to reimplement half of the Ruby on Rails stack in ASP.NET WebForms.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Advertisement

I worked at a place that gave out Visual Assist X licenses like candy. Perhaps this is my lack of experience with large C++ project--we were using it with a gigantic C# project--but I didn't really see the point. All it seemed to do was bog my system down for tools that we wouldn't have needed if the chucklehead architect on the project hadn't tried to reimplement half of the Ruby on Rails stack in ASP.NET WebForms.
Well in a major C++ codebase it is actually quite useful as VS doesn't come with any refactor tools built into the IDE for C++. I mostly use the Open file dialog they added and the "move implementation to header/cpp file" functions.

Worked on titles: CMR:DiRT2, DiRT 3, DiRT: Showdown, GRID 2, theHunter, theHunter: Primal, Mad Max, Watch Dogs: Legion

I use VC2010 on Vista. Eclipse, sometimes Qtcreator, on Ubuntu.

With Win8 dev prev I got an error with VC2012 alike "invalid side by side config"

As said,

Visual Studio is the industry standard for Windows.

For GNU/LINUX with GCC or Windows with MinGW you can use Code::Blocks.

VS can target linux can't it?
void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

No, for almost any definition of 'can'. In the same way Arnold Schwarzenegger 'can' become President of the United States of America (provided the constitution is rewritten to allow it).

C++: A Dialog | C++0x Features: Part1 (lambdas, auto, static_assert) , Part 2 (rvalue references) , Part 3 (decltype) | Write Games | Fix Your Timestep!

LMAO

I read you.
void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

You can compile for anything you want with makefile projects, or you could actually write MSBuild projects which route through a different compiler. Obviously you can't run it since you are on Windows, and you would need to deal with an external debugger (in this case one for Windows which can debug on a remote Linux machine). But if you really wanted you could write some plug-ins that would launch that debugger from within Visual Studio and sync breakpoints.

It's all possible. It's not really any different than targeting consoles.

-- gekko
Visual Assist X is insanely useful just for the navigation, commenting etc. functionality. If the Express version of VS can't use plugins, that is a major ding against it, and the Express version is nowhere near as good as the non-Express version. Lack of profiling is bad too.

I'm taking my first steps in learning Qt so I've just started using QtCreator. My first reaction is that it feels pretty nice, not clunky like Eclipse. Have not yet used it for C++, but I have a feeling it might end up being nicer to work in than VS Express. Especially so if the vi editing mode works nicely, but I haven't tried it yet. Qt itself is very good for getting something useful done in C++ and that would be a point in favor of using QtCreator.

That said: I would generally recommend someone getting into C or C++ to start with no IDE, and initially just use an editor, GCC and make so they get a concrete understanding of how the C and C++ compilation and linking process goes.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement