A short question!

Started by
11 comments, last by 3Ddreamer 11 years, 1 month ago

I`ve been woking with java for quit a long time and i enjoy it a lote but now i dont know if i should start learning openGL or slick2D for simple 2D rpg or platformer games.What do you think?

Advertisement

Don't use openGL for your first 2D platformer.

Use any 2D framework instead.

My Oculus Rift Game: RaiderV

My Android VR games: Time-Rider& Dozer Driver

My browser game: Vitrage - A game of stained glass

My android games : Enemies of the Crown & Killer Bees

If you done some games in past, go for OpenGL, but if not then use frameworks/libs/engines.

And the another thing is that, what do you want to do. Games or Engines (If games then stick with engines), but if you want to learn more about 2d/3d graphics, how it works etc, then go for OpenGL.

SillyCow - I`ve done some platformers game in the past but very basic :)

Damian. - I`d like to make 2D games

Try Slick2D...it's actually based on LWJGL which uses OpenGL. It is very similar to java's already existing graphics tools so it's no sweat for a first project.

Stay gold, Pony Boy.

Hi,

It is always great to see programmers using various languages and liking them, such as the Java that you enjoy. So many beginners with dreams of BIGTIME try to jump right into C++ cross-platform MMO and stuff - LOL Java is a powerful language and you will eventually find advantages long term for crossplatform through OpenGL and other implementations. Have you looked at jMonkey? It really rocks the Java game dev!

I am not sure by your post how far you have progressed in game making, but I would say save OpenGL until you have at least 3 to 5 games made in 2D.

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

3Ddreamer - Thanks for your replay and yes i`ve made 5 games aleardy. Have you looked at jMonkey? - Of corse i did but i never figure out how to use it :)).

I think you guys misunderstand me I am not really a begginer i have 1 year + a couple of months experience.

So if i go with Slick2D everything will be fine?

So if i go with Slick2D everything will be fine?

Yep.

Make sure to read all the documentation and the wiki before you get started.

There are a lot of features that I wish I had known about before I started my project, and I'm sure you will find lots of tools you will want to use as well.

Stay gold, Pony Boy.

Of corse i did but i never figure out how to use it ).
I think you guys misunderstand me I am not really a begginer i have 1 year + a couple of months experience.

Yes, we understand but you were not specific about how many games that you have made, for all we knew only two. happy.png Number of games made can give somebody a better idea if you are ready to advance to a certain new feature of game development, other things considered, too.

You wrote that you never figured out how to use jMonkey, but have you asked for help from the jMonkey community or used a demo game or open source jMonkey game to help you?

I say this only to help, but you really need to pay attention to specifics and alternatives. Details are something to embrace in game development. biggrin.png

Clinton

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement