The games that everybody writes.

Started by
28 comments, last by latch 11 years, 1 month ago

What are games you see written over and over again?

Here's my list to get you started:

Breakout/Arkanoid

Snake/Tron lightcycle

Tic Tac Toe

Pocket Tanks(power and angle shooter like angrybirds)

Advertisement
pong, tetris.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

pac-man

Crash to Desktop is wildly popular amongst beginners and experts alike.

Here's a thread a few months ago you might loot from.

Here's a thread from a few years ago, but it's interestingly formatted and would be great if it was revived, expanded, and refined.

@Haps: I enjoy that one so much, I've snuck that entire game as a hidden feature in all my projects. laugh.png

I do mobile apps and CTD is difficult there, but Force Closes are easy!

For years, I have seen common games and said to myself, "There's another one!" and I thought it would be interesting to find other coder's commonly encountered(or written) games.

That and I 'review' unknown apps on my blog and its app and I avoid commonly written apps for that site.

@Haps: I enjoy that one so much, I've snuck that entire game as a hidden feature in all my projects. laugh.png

Man, i thought i was the only one=-)

Asteroid/space invaders i'd say is a beginner one as well.

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

I don't know about games that are only written (you already covered the typical beginner projects).

For stuff that you can buy on steam and on retail (the publishers can confirm somebody wrote them), i'd say

- First Person Shooters (3D pointing and unprojected clicking based action games)

- Real Time Strategy games (Scrolling and build-order based action games)

- MMOs (You know, ripping players of their money while making them feel they're a part of a bigger community)

- Arcade tetrisish games (Title often random combination of [gem, jewel, gold, diamond] and [quest, mania, rush, panic, puzzler])

Otherwise;

- Browser-based business games. (Like MMOs, but by developers with lower budgets and more obvious marketing schemes.)

It's been years since I last saw a good tic-tac-toe on retail.

worms/gorilla

solar striker

frog

Breakout
Asteroids

Space Invaders
Hunt the Wumpus
Match 3

Boggle
Tetris

Snake
Scorched Earth / Worms clones

Sokoban

That isn't to say that non of these clones / beginner games arn't cool or have origional features there are some really good Match3 or Breakout games out there.

The one game that I think there is too many of is:
Generic RPGs (there really are millions of these, the overall mechanic is the same from epic 3d right down to text based)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement