What gamedev books you have in your bookcase?

Started by
13 comments, last by Hodgman 11 years ago

So basically what's the question. I don't yet have any game development or programming books, so I'm thinking to start building my own programmer's bookcase :)

Deltron Zero and Automator.

Advertisement

Of the top of my head...

CUDA by example.

Physics for Game Developers.

Game Development in Java.

Loads of Game Developers Magazine comics, WIRED comics, Retro Gamer mags and How It Works mags.

Loads of Java Programming books.

Loads of random Computer Science books.

A few different game development ones that I've just completely forgotten.

My bookcase is full with just random Java Programming books that I've never read. Along with a, shameful, Visual Basic book which I have trouble looking at without cringing.

Related to game developing I have only Game Coding Complete, 3rd edition.

Yeah, I'm thinking of getting Game Coding Complete, since I still credit myself a beginner and need some book to kick start things off and of course some C++ to use as reference.

It has some good insights and useful info that will give you an overview of the entire process.

3D Math Primer for Graphics and Game Development

It's not that good, honestly. The explanations are odd and the authors seem to unintentionally assume that you know more about (or have an intuition for) linear algebra than a typical beginner would. But as a general overview of linear algebra as it relates to graphics programming, it's somewhat useful. Probably not worth the price, though.

3D Math Primer for Graphics and Game Development

It's not that good, honestly. The explanations are odd and the authors seem to unintentionally assume that you know more about (or have an intuition for) linear algebra than a typical beginner would. But as a general overview of linear algebra as it relates to graphics programming, it's somewhat useful. Probably not worth the price, though.

I'm thinking abput some Physics and Math books too, to brush my skills on math and learn something to new use in my future games. Any suggestions? Of course, I want to build all my library fromt scratch(Math,General C++, Physics, OpenGl an etc.) I need some pointers to know which books are the best to have.

Heres my shelf:

Starting out in C++ early objects

Beginning C++ through game programming

Data structures demystified

Introduction to Computer Science using C

Beginning Game Programming

Datastructures for Game Programmers

Game Programming all in one

Game Programming Tricks of the Trade

Game Scripting Mastery

Beginning Math and Physics for Game Programmers

I love writing game tools / technology so i got a whole range of books. Have not read all front to back but look at them as more of a reference

Head First Java (2nd)

Beginning OpenGL Game Programming (2nd)

Beginning C++ Through Game Programming (2nd)

Accelerated C++

C++ from the Ground Up

OpenGL SuperBible (4th + 5th)

OpenGL Programming Guide (7th)

The Essence of Programming Using C++

Interactive Computer Graphics

Think Like A Programmer

C++; A Beginner's Guide

Quite a few. Looking to get the new OpenGL Programming Guide and possibly the new SuperBible too when it comes out.

[twitter]KingPrawn22[/twitter]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement