I have been fired :(

Started by
11 comments, last by powerneg 11 years ago

My contract is not renewed as I was feeling, however I have been cheated by their words. They told me three weeks ago before my visa expires that they will give unlimited contract, they also talked with government about the extension,..etc. They made me sleep, and forget about it. Three days ago, They talked with me that they won't renew the contract because of financial problems. They took the key, ID, Immediately, with no respect at all, and I left the company at the same hour.

Recently, I have been asked to write a Server App in Java, to decode SOAP XML, the protocol had a lot of messages, many fields, didn't have previous experience with SOAP, Java Socket, Java Marasheller, and I had working version in 4 days.

The boss while telling my that I have to leave, he commented that I didn't care of CPU usage, which my colleague noticed it, and I immediately solved it!, he also said that I used the read() function, and that's wrong, what if there are missing packets, I told him I have a socket timeout!. I told him even before that meeting, to review my code, before delivering it, and give me comments, it seems that his feedback is to fire me!!.

I talked with the CEO on the phone and told him tell me the truth, he told me the major issue is financially, and we want to invest in sales. I'm totally depressed, don't trust myself anymore, I accepted very low salary and in the contract it is an entry position. I just want to leave the country, go to Egypt which is more worse, but I really can't forget how did they interact with me, however I helped them so much in a lot of things in their software.

I would like to hear from professionals how do they cope up with situations like that ?

Advertisement

Just out of curiosity what was the low pay you received and what city do you live in? I am just curios about different pay scales for entry level positions in different areas of the country.

You are better off going to a wealthier nation like Saudi Arabia or United Arab Emirates, then at least you would get decent pay. These days allot of the small start-ups in America are taking advantage of programmers and paying virtually nothing to entry level. I remember being offered 10 dollars an hour at some place, and it was only for a couple months of intense all nighters. These jobs are known to be dead ends because after the company hires on a large team of new programmers. They put them through the minimum number of sprints until the next product is out, then lay everyone off. Then sales kick in for the next 9 months to sell and make profit. Never worth it, start-ups live off the generosity of their employees.

If you really want to make it big in America do not work for anyone, make eekers work for you at sub standard salaries and recoup millions back in sales. This is the land where it is legal to profit off the hard work of other people.

I was in Austria, with GERMANS :@, 2300 euro, after taxes 1500, you pay 500 rent, food 400, then cigarettes,.etc. You get nothing.

I was in Saudi Arabia, and I cried blood that I left it!!!.

I was in Austria, with GERMANS :@, 2300 euro, after taxes 1500, you pay 500 rent, food 400, then cigarettes,.etc. You get nothing.

I was in Saudi Arabia, and I cried blood that I left it!!!.

Sorry to hear that. For a full time position that is really low... Sorry to say this but you hourly salary was lower than mine as a part time webmaster(if you worked for like 35-40 hours weekly)... I really hope you find a better job and some more nice people to work with.

Also it cannot rain all the time and hey Europe is big you know? Try some other places/countries :)

Wish you all the best :)

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education"

Albert Einstein

"It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education"

Albert Einstein

Best of luck with finding a better job. Always sucks to have a job go bad, especially one that wasn't paying well to begin with.

I had a contract with an agency funded by the Canadian government when I was in university. Payment structure was kind of weird, quarterly based with a signing payment and final+ bonus at the end of the contract term. Generally seemed like a decent idea at the time due to the relatively low total hours needed for the work, and was super flexible around school. However after being resigned several times in a row the upper management envoked the early termination clause... then my project lead failed to actually tell me about this and pretended everything was carrying on as normal. So there went several grand that I really could have used for many things. (And there are enough loop holes in the law that I would merely strangle myself trying to go after this agency.)

My current employer is becoming questionable. Hired in entry level for peanuts while still finishing my degree, and promised room to grow and advance with the company in a real career. They've had excellent growth and raking in profits while expanding client base and low level employee base, but so far the promised upward growth has been no where to be seen with only a handful of low level employees pulled up the ranks mostly on seniority. Sadly jumping ship to another employeer isn't something I really want at the moment as I'm still debating if the game industry is a field I want to make a life long career. Oil and Gas/energy sector is looking more and more attractive all the time.

Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

I get about 800 euros after taxes, and I can be happy with it (in Hungary). Okay, rent is only about 250 euros, but otherwise prizes are the same as in western countries.

If you hate Germans, why did you go there? People moving to countries they hate for better salary is beyond my head.

From your post, looks like your colleague did not like you :/

"I would like to hear from professionals how do they cope up with situations like that ?"

You work out what you were successful at while you were there, you put those things on your CV as achievements and then you go and find another job.

And that's all. These things happen. People get fired, made redundant, companies go bust. Jobs go away. It happens to everyone.

Cry in private, but in public, put on a smart suit and shiny shoes and get back to selling yourself into a new role.

Try ODesk. Good luck!

I would like to hear from professionals how do they cope up with situations like that ?

You brush it off, you move on.

Easier said than done, but that's what you gotta do.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement