Thinking of creating a free-to-play clone of The Sims

Started by
4 comments, last by user0 10 years, 10 months ago

I want to create a free to play clone of The Sims if you know the game it is that you create a family with Adults and Kids and you live in a house and have school and jobs Does anyone know the best engine to do it with little or no programming becuase I do not know programming.It will be like The Sims 1

Advertisement

If you want custom functionality, especially for a simulation game, youll almost certainly need at least some high level scripting. Check out GameMaker, i have never used it but AFAIK at least you can make games without much scripting needed. It seems fairly popular among game creation platforms.

Another option is Unity but i feel it requires more programming/scripting to get stuff done.

If you want something that actually works and isnt terrible you should probably first learn programming at least to some extent, and then look into the various platforms/engines that do a lot of the low level stuff for you.

o3o

best engine to do it

This is not a Game Design question. Moving to For Beginners.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I want to create a free to play clone of The Sims if you know the game it is that you create a family with Adults and Kids and you live in a house and have school and jobs Does anyone know the best engine to do it with little or no programming becuase I do not know programming.It will be like The Sims 1

Always keep the scope of your project in mind.

The first version of The Sims had about 150 developers from about 1997-2000 to create the game. That's about 500 work-years from experienced game developers.

The design of the game is very different from any engines like GameMaker; there is no drop-in engine like The Sims.

Does anyone know the best engine to do it with little or no programming becuase I do not know programming.It will be like The Sims 1

i was playing sims 1 last night!

fun fact: did you know the sims v1.0 contains over 1400 animations?

The design of the game is very different from any engines like GameMaker; there is no drop-in engine like The Sims.

yes, i was mentally reviewing the list of "usual suspects". most are platform or fps engines. can't think of any really suitable for doing a person sim.

i'm actually working on a person sim right now, caveman setting. scope is much bigger than the sims though. it will require about 2 years working fulltime + overtime to complete. right now i'm about 3/4's of the way through.

if i were going to do a person sim with an engine, i guess i'd use a shooter engine like unity perhaps for the graphics. but i'd still have to code all the AI and interactivity myself.

the original sims shipped with over 200 objects your sim can interact with, each with 1 to perhaps 4 actions.

CAVEMAN by comparison, has over 100 generic action handlers, which can handle anywhere from 1 to hundreds of actions. there are so many possible actions in the game, i haven't calculated then exact number. well over 1000, perhaps over 2000.

building a person sim is not like building a mario clone or a flash game, you can't just download an engine, click and drag and make something.

i just spent a week on getting better looking female body meshes up and running in the game, and i still probably have another week's worth of tweaking to do. you wouldn't believe how hard it is to find a ready to rig sexy female nude 3d model online. in the end i had to stitch her together, half a torso from here, an upper leg from there, like Dr Frankenstein (thats fronkensteen!)

as i see it you have 2 choices:

1. learn how to code person sims.

2. choose to make some other type of game.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

I think theres no way around the programming but I found cube 2 to be very easy to work with and from my knowledge would be the easiest engine to do something like the sims.

1. built in editor while playing - like building houses

2. can load objects with animations easily - objects - i think the sims 1 objects are obj and I think it load obj I know it saves obj cant remember about load

3. simple ai - the characters

4. cube script - ui and object menus and such

5. has a grid like maping - for object placement

bonus: multiplayer editing - multiplayer sims!

second bonus: can be compiled to work in the browser with emscripten!

If your committing SERIOUS time and resources I would be willing to help with some of the programming because I have wanted this myself!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement