Where do I start making a game (A Clone of The Sims)

Started by
4 comments, last by Christoher Randin 10 years, 10 months ago

I Know a little bit of programming I could also look up tutorials. Where do I start in Unity for a game like The Sims ?

Advertisement
By starting much much smaller.

Yet again serapth is correct.

I suggest you read up on C# and make some cool projects with it (such as a text-based game).

Then, read the Unity documentation. I used to think documentation was boring, also, however it is really interesting.

Finally, start making simple games. Try out Pong, then Breakout!, then Space Invaders, then try some more advanced games like an (2d) RPG and the like. You unfortunately can't make a clone of the Sims by yourself, probably, however I bet you could make a simpler version with your own twist.

Cheers :)!

I'm a game programmer and computer science ninja !

Here's my 2D RPG-Ish Platformer Programmed in Python + Pygame, with a Custom Level Editor and Rendering System!

Here's my Custom IDE / Debugger Programmed in Pure Python and Designed from the Ground Up for Programming Education!

Want to ask about Python, Flask, wxPython, Pygame, C++, HTML5, CSS3, Javascript, jQuery, C++, Vimscript, SFML 1.6 / 2.0, or anything else? Recruiting for a game development team and need a passionate programmer? Just want to talk about programming? Email me here:

hobohm.business@gmail.com

or Personal-Message me on here !

First break your game down into the smallest componant for the sims game and work from there.

The most important element of a sims game is the behaviors such as wants and needs (food, sleep, cleanliness etc..), Buld a simple simulation of this logged out to the console (like a tamogotchi). This should be fairly easy.

Then make a graphical version.

Then add an envionment and make your "sim" wander around. To start off just make this random.

Next add objects into the environment that can help your sim achieve thier needs (fridge, toilet, shower etc..)

Expand from there.

sounds like you decided to go for it (a sims clone). i applaud your determination.

i'll assume you're doing a 3rd person person perspective view.

i'd start by getting a camera going, and an avatar (use a cube as a placeholder graphics).

make it so you can do the "move here" action.

for that you'll need a 3d raypick routine to convert your mouse click into x,z coordinates on the "floor" of the house. an engine like unity probably has something like that built-in. if not, i have raypick vs horiz plane (IE a floor or map) code i can post.

then add a bed object and sleep action, and a sleep stat that goes down over time. again, just use a cube or something for the placeholder graphics.

now your sim can walk around, gets tired, and can sleep in a bed and recharge sleep.

then add a fridge, an eat action, and a food stat that goes down over time.

at this point you'll probably want to make a list of all the "variable stats" (food sleep etc) you'll want to track and implement.

in CAVEMAN, the SIMS style variable stats are: food, water, hygiene, damage, has_illness, mood, and fatigue,

before you start or early on, you should decide whether you want objects to be hard coded, or loadable. the SIMs uses loadable, which lets anyone create new objects for the game, assuming they know the file formats and scripting language used.

in CAVEMAN, i went hard coded for simplicity. its always possible to supplement that with loadable user defined objects as well. in the end the only real difference is how the object code and data gets into the game, hardcoded at compile time, or loaded from disk at runtime.

once you're feeling bad and bold, you can take on replacing that placeholder cube avatar with a real rigged and animated skinned mesh, adding nice 3d models for objects, adding some of those 1400+ animations in the SIMs v1.0, etc..

basic advise:

one step at a time.

rome was not built in a day.

worry about what you don't know how to do, not what you do know how to do.

sometimes you have to break a few eggs to make a real mayonnaise.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

As far as starting small, why not by creating an Avatar and having him move around a bit and just control the way he moves in the game world. Then later you can start adding in some interactions via triggers and Input to talk with npc or trigger an event. Just start at the very basic and build up. If you start on top you will only fall hard, so the closer you are to the bottom the less it hurts.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement