Global illumination techniques

Started by
60 comments, last by FreneticPonE 9 years, 11 months ago
Advertisement

Touched a nerve, did I? LOL (BTW, it's a 4chan meme--who the fuck reads reddit?)

I'm not defensive, since I'm not associated with the authors and I don't have anything invested in it. I am, however, planning to accelerate it with OptiX, as I've used OptiX with OpenGL before (for rendering reflections and refractions in an otherwise rasterized scene), and it seems a perfect fit. Your comment on glossy indirect is a red herring; the cow object in fig.6 is glossy. Same for photon volume clipping--you'd have to be the closer to the surface than the volume radius:

simply restrict the viewpoint from approaching the surface closer than the photon volume minor radius, which is typically 0.1m for the human-scale scenes in our experiments. We note that many applications already impose a similar restriction to avoid clipping nearby geometry or penetrating it with a view model.

Are you seriously objecting to that solution?

"But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most?" --Mark Twain

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Looking for a high-performance, easy to use, and lightweight math library? http://www.cmldev.net/ (note: I'm not associated with that project; just a user)

They explicitly state they support arbitraty BSDFs, and that includes glossy reflections.

Then why have they not demonstrated it. A picture is worth a thousand words.

See figure 6 of the paper, they show fresnel and specular reflections.

See figure 6 of the paper, they show fresnel and specular reflections.

[attachment=21212:cow.png]

This is not a terribly impressive demonstration of reflections. I'd be a little more impressed if they could demonstrate something like this:

[attachment=21213:SiggraphRepImage.jpg]

I don't really get what the fuss is about anyway because specular reflections are one the easiest things to do. Much more impressive is the computation of caustics, many GI techniques can't handle those. It's obvious that their technique handles both from reading the paper and looking at the images.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement