Mobile game that might get 3 out of 5 stars

Started by
8 comments, last by mmakrzem 10 years, 9 months ago

I'm entering into a competition to build a new mobile game. If my game gets at least a 3 out of 5 star rating then I'll be eligible to win a free device.

So my question to you is, what features do you think that I need to put into my game to increase my chances of getting a high star rating?

Disclaimer, I only have 2 weeks to build this game from scratch (graphics, logic, etc) so don't ask me to make a MMORPG!

Advertisement
If you can make a above average game then you can make a lot more then"a free device" unless that device is a space rocket or something.

Anyway, isn't the type of game more important then the features first? And what lies in your capabilities? You should be confident enough to be able to finish it on time.

Now to give you some input. Try a puzzle game where you need to tilt and skew the phone or pad to reach the goals.

less talk, more work!

Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3 because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. 4 Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

Experience/upgrade, loot/shop.

Make it fun and polish the hell out of it.

[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

Now to give you some input. Try a puzzle game where you need to tilt and skew the phone or pad to reach the goals.

I like the idea of a tilting game, however without a real device to use to test my code with while developing it, I'm afraid that it might not work as expected if I just use the simulator to build and test the game.

What do you consider to be "fun" ?

I like the idea of a tilting game, however without a real device to use to test my code with while developing it, I'm afraid that it might not work as expected if I just use the simulator to build and test the game.

To me its not about what features your game has, its about the gameplay, added features is nice if you got the time but for a 2 week game you really need to prioritize the gameplay, fun is not something easily described with words, it has to be experienced.

For a 2 week game i'd recommend taking whatever ideas you have, make some quick 15-30 minute prototypes and see if anything holds up on its own without a bunch of fluff. (if it needs fluff or has to be combined with other ideas its not a great fit for a 2 week project)

[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

What do you consider to be fun? Start with two distinct, well-known and popular games, combine their gameplay elements in unexpected ways, prototype until you get something that looks like a game that could conceivably be played on a mobile device, get people to play it, collect feedback, iterate to fix any major flaws identified by your testers, repeat until you hit the deadline, submit, profit.

Fun cannot be calculated (no matter how hard some people would like it to), it just "happens". So get coding and surprise us smile.png

Here's a few ideas to get your neurons started:

- bomberman and tetris (perhaps two players fighting against each other for blocks somehow)

- frogger and snake (the snake can be killed by moving objects - how?)

- FPS elements in a top-down 2D game controlled by tilting the phone - think paintball?

Also, polish when you've got the gameplay sorted out. Good art, good music, everything, else your awesome game won't score very high, unfortunately.

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

Include a prompt to review the game if the player has been playing beyond a certain amount of time/has made a certain amount of progress. That way, you'll get a few more reviews from people who are enjoying it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement