Is Inspiron 15R good for programming?

Started by
29 comments, last by swiftcoder 10 years, 9 months ago

I'm currently searching for new laptop for my college. i need my laptop for college uses (programming,noting) and for gaming. I'm not quite understand about comp specs, dkk. but from my beginner view, this laptop is good enough ( and cheap ) for my needs. and the price is below $1000. is it worth it?

Processor:

4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4500U processor (4M Cache, 1.8 GHz)

Operating System:

Windows 8, 64-bit, English

Display:

15.6 inch LED Backlit Touch Display with Truelife and HD resolution (1366 x 768)

Memory2:

8GB3 DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz

Hard Drive:

1TB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive

Optical Drive:

Tray load DVD Drive (Reads and Writes to DVD/CD)

Video Card:

Intel® HD Graphics 4400

Warranty:

1 Year Basic Hardware Service and 1 Year NBD Onsite Service

System Weight:

5.12 lbs

And if you guys have better opinion for which laptop i should buy for my need, please tell me

Thankyou smile.png

Advertisement

Strongly recommend finding a laptop with NVIDIA graphics. Other than that, the only must-have spec is 8GB+ of RAM. I'm also insistent on finding the highest screen resolution you can afford; 1920x1080 is common now and 1600x900 should be considered minimum. 1366x768 is embarassing on a 15" screen.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

i see, do you know any laptop that meet that requirements?

Lenovo or maybe Sony would be at the top of my list.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

Strongly recommend finding a laptop with NVIDIA graphics.

Made me curious why you won't equally recommend an ATI graphics card?

Strongly recommend finding a laptop with NVIDIA graphics. Other than that, the only must-have spec is 8GB+ of RAM. I'm also insistent on finding the highest screen resolution you can afford; 1920x1080 is common now and 1600x900 should be considered minimum. 1366x768 is embarassing on a 15" screen.

Why are you recommending NVidia for graphics as there is no real difference between the two, even the new Intel 4th generation core GPU's are actually full DX11 GPUs and are mid range cards.

I would go for the Inspiron 15R SE as it has a 1920x1080 screen and a Radeon 7730M price should be similiar and dito for the hardware. This laptop has hardware that you normally would find in a laptop that is 300-400 dollars more.

Worked on titles: CMR:DiRT2, DiRT 3, DiRT: Showdown, GRID 2, theHunter, theHunter: Primal, Mad Max, Watch Dogs: Legion

Why are you recommending NVidia for graphics as there is no real difference between the two, even the new Intel 4th generation core GPU's are actually full DX11 GPUs and are mid range cards.

I would go for the Inspiron 15R SE as it has a 1920x1080 screen and a Radeon 7730M price should be similiar and dito for the hardware. This laptop has hardware that you normally would find in a laptop that is 300-400 dollars more.

The big problem with Intel really is their OpenGL support, it has caught up slightly and you do get OpenGL 4.0 on their most recent GPUs but featurewise those GPUs should allow you to use OpenGL 4.1-4.3(They don't though) and OpenGL performance is quite a disappointment on them (Not sure how D3D performs but if its equally bad then those are not midrange GPUs by any standard).

If you're not using OpenGL its probably better to get a laptop with a fast and reasonably big SSD, some laptops today even have both a SSD and a traditional HDD. (not having a SSD is just pure painful)

[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

If you're not using OpenGL its probably better to get a laptop with a fast and reasonably big SSD, some laptops today even have both a SSD and a traditional HDD. (not having a SSD is just pure painful)

Can only second that, we do have a HDD-only laptop at work. The specs look fine on the paper, but the small HDD is crippling the whole thing.
As soon as I start a virtual machine I can't do anything else, even opening a browser takes minutes (no exaggeration).

after reconsider all your response, i came up with this laptop

VAIO S Series 15 Laptop
Model number:
SVS1512EPXB

3rd gen Intel® Core™ i7-3632QM (2.20/3.20GHz)
Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
Features: 15.5" Full HD IPS display,

8GB RAM,

1TB (5400rpm) HDD,

CD/DVD player / burner,

NVIDIA® graphics (2GB),

HDMI® out,

USB 3.0, TPM

Resolution : 1920 x 1080

Price : $1330

which is better? this one or inspiron 15R SE?

For that price you might want to find something with an SSD as mentioned.

o3o

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement