The Week of Awesome: Unofficial GDNet Competition

Started by
132 comments, last by Orymus3 9 years, 7 months ago

pls do i want to do these

Advertisement

Okay, I'll try to do another one of these. I'm not sure how often to do these... I'm thinking maybe 2 a year? One around June/July/August and one around December/January? Do people have any input on when to do these and with what frequency? Note that if I do more, I probably will drop prizes (unless people donate/sponsor it), as I don't have unlimited cash :(

[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

I think something regular would be cool ... like new topic every two month with two deadlines:

- speed deadline (one week after the topic is released?)

- polished game deadline (after the full 2 month?)

No prices would be ok for me. Maybe something rating related would be nice.

Probably the work could be distributed (no judges, just user reviews / ratings / votes). The participation would show if that is too frequently pretty quickly.

Guess it makes sense to point out the discussion about if a dedicated competition forum would be great or not:

http://www.gamedev.net/topic/646920-can-we-get-a-competitionscontests-forum/

Given enough eyeballs, all mysteries are shallow.

MeAndVR

Great games everyone!

I wish I could have made an entry, too much work at the moment :/

The results from judging will be posted... someday. I'm not sure when exactly

I can't speak for the others, but just to ease contestant's minds that judging is proceeding well I can tell you I've done about half of my judging.

I wonder if there is a better way to notify about upcoming competitions.

We Tweeted and posted to Facebook a couple of times before the contest launched, and also used the little announcement feature (the one currently announcing the Sketchfab contest) above the topic listings. I also added a reminder near the top of our "GDNet Direct" email newsletter. I'd love to make sure we get the word out to everyone, but I'm not sure what else we could do other than repeating announcements.

Any ideas?

- Jason Astle-Adams

Make a posting at IndieGames.com and TigSource for example.

Some might be interested and a lot of people read there.

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

Make a posting at IndieGames.com and TigSource for example.

Good idea!

Rather than simply making posts which may in some cases be considered unwelcome, I'll be reaching out to administrators in other communities to make sure they're ok with us sharing our contests. smile.png

Anything else we could do within our own community to help spread the word?

- Jason Astle-Adams

Anything else we could do within our own community to help spread the word?

Have a unique hashtag on twitter and tumblr would be a good idea. Like #gdjam, #gdnjam or something similar.

Maybe use the name "The Week of Awesome" in some kinda way. #twoaJam, #awsmJam, I don't know.

Snuti Games on the web: Website - Facebook - Twitter - Blog

Not all gamedev.net community contests last a week. I've participated in a 72 hour one, a 24 hour one, and even a 6 hour(!) one, so something that doesn't lock down a specific length of time or type of contest would be good. #gdjam is good. It even rolls of the tongue well (geedee jam).

any news about the results?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement