Accelerated GL?

Started by
18 comments, last by Mayrel 22 years, 6 months ago
I have a simple problem, my (win32) gl apps aren''t being accelerated. It''s quite plain that games I have, like UT, Homeworld, and the like, are being accelerated. The test is quite simple, the Voodoo4 lets me set gl gamma seperately from gdi gamma. I set the gl gamma to 0.1, and accelerated programs are pitch black. I know, then that my apps are not accelerated, rather than just being slow due to programmer incompetance. I assume I need to 1) enable acceleration using some wgl function, or 2) use a replacement opengl32.dll that is accelerated (like id''s minigl, for example, although I want a full implementation). Does anyone which it is, and how to go about the correct solution? Uuuuuulrika-ka-ka-ka-ka-ka
CoV
Advertisement
Make sure that you select an accelerated PixelFormat.
quote:Original post by Dactylos
Make sure that you select an accelerated PixelFormat.

Yes, some cards let you select 24 bpp format but aren''t accelerated for it.

Ah... I should use EnumPixelFormat for that, right?

Uuuuuulrika-ka-ka-ka-ka-ka
CoV
Looking over the VC++ help files on the OpenGL stuff, and from the previous comments, it seems like all one has to do is setup a PIXELFORMATDESCRIPTOR structure and choose what would be accelerated settings for it.

Though this doesn''t work for me ;-), it still runs using the Software renderer
If you set the values to the highest possible in the PIXELFORMATDESCRIPTOR, the hardware will pick the highest possible it can do, if I remember correctly.
Yeah, but how do you tell OpenGL to use the hardware renderer instead of the standard GDI renderer? That''s what I''m having trouble figuring out.
hmmm. assuming you have hardware acceleration support. *** you didn''t mention which video card you have ***. you NEED the vendor specific OpenGL32.dll either in your "system" or "system32" directory in you Windows directory (assuming ICD). or in the the directory where your application is run from (ICD or MCD). the Windows application loader will automatically link the "dll" that is in the program path or in the environment variable search path (i.e winnt/system32). you may need to select accelerated support in the "PIXELFORMATDESCRIPTOR" structure, but that would be implementation specific.

ICD <- installable client driver: full OpenGL implementation.
MCD <- mini client driver: partial OpenGL implementation.
To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.
This is a Dell laptop with ATI MOBILITY 128. So it''s just a matter of finding the driver and probably copying it to the directory that the program resides in and running it from there? And in the case that there is a flag in the PIXELFORMATDESCRIPTOR structure for the Accelerated option, anyway to find out what it is based on the driver?

--Thanks!
Actually, the Microsoft OpenGL32.dll will automatically load the vendor specific driver (from a registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\OpenGLDrivers
). If there is none installed, it''ll use software rendering. Copying the driver you need won''t just not make a difference, it might also not run at all if you need certain things that the driver doesn''t implement.
Kippesoep

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement