So how does this look?

Started by
9 comments, last by DwarvesH 10 years, 8 months ago

Sorry, I couldn't find a better place on the forum to ask for feedback, and since this is the only sub-forum I'm active on... how does this look?

Please give honest feedback :).

Advertisement

Hehe, I like it! biggrin.png

Especially your bloom effect.

• Maybe give your grass a random seed for the wind effect, or a seed depending on the nabour.
  • Smooth the terrain where the impact has taken place.

But great work!

FastCall22: "I want to make the distinction that my laptop is a whore-box that connects to different network"

Blog about... stuff (GDNet, WordPress): www.gamedev.net/blog/1882-the-cuboid-zone/, cuboidzone.wordpress.com/

I like it :) the one thing that sticks out at me is the texture stretch on the more vertical bits of the ground. Have you looked into triplanar texture mapping?

A little bit weird is that when the rock falls from the sky, it actually creates a piece of perfectly flat ground at the impact point. When it hits a slope, the terrain rises at the lower sides.

But other than the already mentioned stuff, it looks nice ;)

Pretty good! You know, I never had the time to deal with vegetation so I appreciated it a lot.

Previously "Krohm"

Thanks for taking a look! And for the kind words!

Hehe, I like it! biggrin.png

Especially your bloom effect.

• Maybe give your grass a random seed for the wind effect, or a seed depending on the nabour.
  • Smooth the terrain where the impact has taken place.

But great work!

It is bloom and light shafts if you look in the direction of the sun.

Adding grass random seeds seems relatively difficult to do. I did a stress test with a 64 square kilometer map and I had over 166 million bushlets of grass, all saved on disk. The map was around 4 GiB on disk. So I'm hesitant to further increase the storage requirements. What I'll try first is add more types of grass. Instead of using just one, I'll mix it up, and add a different wind speed to each grass type.

And smoothing is planned. It is hard to adapt a random free-form terrain to more rigid set constrains to mix it with assets. Minecraft had it easy with the cubes smile.png.

A little bit weird is that when the rock falls from the sky, it actually creates a piece of perfectly flat ground at the impact point. When it hits a slope, the terrain rises at the lower sides.

But other than the already mentioned stuff, it looks nice ;)

I'll try some terrain animation with animated texture change to justify the terrain shape change.

Pretty good! You know, I never had the time to deal with vegetation so I appreciated it a lot.

Grass is very hard to get right. I dread the day I'd want to add some physics response to it.

I like it smile.png the one thing that sticks out at me is the texture stretch on the more vertical bits of the ground. Have you looked into triplanar texture mapping?

Yes, I tried it, but ultimately did not go with it out of two reasons:

• It did not look good on the move. When deforming the terrain live, with triplanar mapping the terrain looks like it has multiple transparent layers, with some moving, some standing still. It looks weird.
  • Sampler overload. Currently I have 4 diffuse maps to sample and 4 normal maps, with optional levels of anisotropy. Quite the performance hog, and I'm planning to add a 5th material. Adding triplanar mapping greatly reduced performance and with the new material, I'll be over the sampler count.

I did some smoothing using a box filter, but I couldn't find yet a method to create perfectly smooth terrain after the deformation, except to smooth the whole thing, which is undesirable. I think I need some slope analysis and do more powerful smoothing the bigger the slope is.

You can see a little bit of the smoothing in my latest video:

The smoothing is not that good but good enough for now.

But the main question is: how does the physics look?

It looks alright, the only thing I would comment about, is when the huge pillars fall down, they just stop when they hit the floor. There should be some kind of a resultant force acting upon it.

But else it is good! happy.png

PS. Did you develop it yourself, or is it an external library?

FastCall22: "I want to make the distinction that my laptop is a whore-box that connects to different network"

Blog about... stuff (GDNet, WordPress): www.gamedev.net/blog/1882-the-cuboid-zone/, cuboidzone.wordpress.com/

The camera shaking should be based on the distance from the falling rocks.

Why don't you share the EXE? I want to shoot some rocks smile.png

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement