I need a C++ Mentor.

Started by
15 comments, last by mmakrzem 10 years, 7 months ago

Alright guys so I'm learning c++, I bought 2 books but I dont learn really well (retain) information that way, I was kind of wanting a mentor to teach me the rest of the c++ basics so I can start getting into programming, I can right a Hello World program and some basic calculators, anyways if anybody wants to help me out reply to me, thanks!

Advertisement

Start getting into Game Programming, I Want to learn the basics of c++ first.

Start getting into Game Programming, I Want to learn the basics of c++ first.

Or somebody to teach me the language more, before i get into the game dev side of things.

Whoa, C++ is a huge topic. I guess Hello, World is a good place to start. First thing's first, you need to get into a position where you can create, compile, link, and run C++ programs. Have you gotten that far yet? Also, do you have any prior programming experience with any other languages?

There is much you can learn from tutorials and examples, a google search away.

This entire community has the purpose of being your mentor. Advising and training you in the basics of C++ and many detailed topics of programming.... just ask questions and ask for help whenever you need it.

have you bought "C++, How To Program" by Paul Deitel ?, the book is readable for beginner.

No, I have sams teach yourself and c++ For dummies, I just know basic variables, and No i have no prior experience, Im a senior in highschool and just want to learn c++ before I go to college in a yr. I know people will say watch a youtube video or something, but idk, i need a full tutorial set thats slow paced.

Whoa, C++ is a huge topic. I guess Hello, World is a good place to start. First thing's first, you need to get into a position where you can create, compile, link, and run C++ programs. Have you gotten that far yet? Also, do you have any prior programming experience with any other languages?

I use a IDE, I dont do all that, I use Xcode. And no, no prior experience.

I recommend 1 thing in addition to a mentor ... a cohort. If I had time I'd mentor you, but I just had a daughter and I just can't spare enough time to pull you up as much as you'll need to invest. However, in addition to trying to find someone to help you understand the occasional concept from a book or tutorial that's just flying over your head ... find someone who wants to learn as well. Someone you can have long conversations with trying to figure stuff out, debates, or just someone you can work with trying to make the damn code do what it "should". Working with someone is so rewarding for both parties, even if 1 of you ends up being way better than the other (which almost always happens, but ... so what).

Good Luck.

The is NOT a good "by itself" tutorial, but it is helpful when you want to "look up" something you may not have gotten figured out correctly: http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

Not sure if this one is good or not either, but: http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial/c++-tutorial.html Personally I find this 3rd one a bit slow, but if you have no human help it might be good, and also, its good to skim the titles and see if there are any you may have missed: http://www.learncpp.com/.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement