PUTT Updates and Finals Thread

Started by
94 comments, last by ml_ 10 years, 6 months ago
aspirer,
Thanks for playing my game. I have alot of ideas for powerups but ran out of time. I was thinking of having the puck be able to catch balls into a quiver and releasing balls at will to confuse your opponent.

It was fun anyway. Im going to look for more contests and see what else I can come up with. Maybe we can team up on something together.

-Crow
Advertisement

aspirer,
Thanks for playing my game. I have alot of ideas for powerups but ran out of time. I was thinking of having the puck be able to catch balls into a quiver and releasing balls at will to confuse your opponent.

It was fun anyway. Im going to look for more contests and see what else I can come up with. Maybe we can team up on something together.

-Crow

Not a problem. Happy to do a team project, too. Any time.

So apparently I left the readme out of the last windows package I made. I guess I was in too much of a rush. Combined with my bad control scheme, that's sort of a problem! Sorry, everyone... Here it is, incase you're trying to play my game and getting frustrated with it:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7949526/readme.txt

::MIPPY::

Sorry, I forgot your game earlier (your link was on page 2, and I only checked 3 happy.png)

Your game was definitely entertaining. Liked the "Hot balls!" message. Pretty complete game.

My only one suggestion:

--You need a third power-up. (EDIT: Clarifying, a third "time" based power up)

Hm, I have speed up (hot balls) speed down (slomo) and more time buff (A?), but perhaps something bugged out :/

Oh, crap... No, I forgot about the time buffers! Remove that suggestion, lmao.

Thanks to Aspirer for taking the time to check out everyone's games and share thoughts (btw, any luck getting StickBall to work?...).

I've spent some time yesterday and today checking out people's games.

So far I'm really impressed. I am interested to know what kinds of programming languages and development libraries different people are using.

I"m especially interested to know about the ones which run in an internet browser (the ones by Mippy, Staunsholm, and Segmented), because my long term programming goal is to learn how to make games that run in a browser window. I'm really curious to have a look at the code for Segmented and Mippy's submissions. Thanks to Staunsholm for posting code on github (sidenote: WebGL is not activated on my browser, so I'm still working on checking out the Staunsholm submission completely).

I am on Linux OS, and therefore I haven't been able to try out all of the games yet, and some of them I could only try out partially (using glitchy Wine emulator). I will get access to a PC and spend some more time trying out the PUTT games during the next few days.

Here are some of my favorite details so far:

Before and After of Highway Pong. It's nice to be able to compare the two versions and see the differences.

Segmented's submission: The graphics are just plain awesome. I discovered that I could Pause during gameplay by pressing Escape, so I paused it a bunch of times while the ball was hitting the walls, to watch the bounce effect in slow motion. Very awesome. I would really like to be able to learn how you did this.

Zomgbie's project: I am curious to know how things turned out, even if it is not totally finished.

Aspirer's submission: Opening Credits are a really nice touch. The power-up cube appears to be created with GL?... nice effect.

Noctumus: Really good overall.

WinterTime: Excellent Readme and Install documentation. (I'm still working on getting the game installed on Linux....)

I'll check the games out some more in the coming days. Thanks to everyone for sharing your games. Thanks to WinterTime and Staunsholm for sharing their source code, and thanks in advance to anyone else who wants to share their source code. smile.png

Concerning Highway Pong - I did not use any libraries at all, just plain javascript and html/css. I tried using PreloadJS but failed in it's implementation... A google webfont was used to spice it up a little. If you are serious about making web games it's recommended to use one or several libraries. I wanted to do that at first but learning a library takes time, which I did not have in this case... Pong is such a simple game that no libraries should be needed.

(btw, any luck getting StickBall to work?...).

Aspirer's submission: Opening Credits are a really nice touch. The power-up cube appears to be created with GL?... nice effect.

Unfortunately, no, I'm still trying to work on it. Thanks for the comments! I created mine entirely using Unity3D (was a good way to learn the engine basics, actually).

BTW, you mentioned the browser games and so forth... Segmented's game is entirely in javascript--you can "View Source" and see all the code.

But something you might like even more--Unity supports exporting to a browser based format, which would let you make even fully functional 3d games for web-browsers.

It just came to my mind I had only put a very old screenshot up. I now made one from the final version. Thanks to the people who tried my game out anyway, I hope some more will do now.

(Click for full size.)

[attachment=18620:winter-pong3.jpg]

I am interested to know what kinds of programming languages and development libraries different people are using.

Mine is written in C++ and uses BASS for playing mp3 files.

Before and After of Highway Pong. It's nice to be able to compare the two versions and see the differences.

If you wanna see a couple of early versions of my own game:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11147293/putt/putt_day_12.zip (day 12, click left mouse button to close the program)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11147293/putt/putt_day_18.zip (day 18, click any key to close the program)

Noctumus: Really good overall.

Thanks! smile.png

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement