Looking for people to review my game

Started by
14 comments, last by khg 10 years, 4 months ago

Hello all,

I have just made my first game in C++ (the unfinished demos of a space shooter, tetris, snake, etc doesn't count), it is a TIC TAC TOE game and I need some people to take a look at my game and tell me their opinion about it. Criticism is allowed smile.png. I didn't implemented AI yet because I will study it later and upgrade my game then. What do you think i should add to the game? How is the sound? How are the graphics? Should I put sound when mouse is clicked? Tell me what you think.

Download here.

Thank you.

"Don't gain the world and lose your soul. Wisdom is better than silver or gold." - Bob Marley

Advertisement

Haven't played the game yet, just wanted to refer you to a useful resource for programming the AI for your game. Because Tic-Tac-Toe has a finite number of possible moves, the optimal move at every given stage has already been determined. You can use this data to have an AI that always plays the best possible move.

For additional experience, try implementing two difficulty levels:

• Normal: Will block player wins and will complete AI wins when possible. Otherwise play a random square.
  • Hard: All optimal moves.

Haven't played the game yet, just wanted to refer you to a useful resource for programming the AI for your game. Because Tic-Tac-Toe has a finite number of possible moves, the optimal move at every given stage has already been determined. You can use this data to have an AI that always plays the best possible move.

For additional experience, try implementing two difficulty levels:

• Normal: Will block player wins and will complete AI wins when possible. Otherwise play a random square.
  • Hard: All optimal moves.

Thank you. I will implement AI on my game as soon as possible but you can give my game a try and I will upgrade this topic with v2 of my game with AI implemented. And if you guys have more ideas, maybe with more upgrades.

"Don't gain the world and lose your soul. Wisdom is better than silver or gold." - Bob Marley

I've tried playing the game but was unable to run it. I received the following error:

error_zps970a8c33.jpg

I've tried playing the game but was unable to run it. I received the following error:

error_zps970a8c33.jpg

Wierd.. I uploaded the release version of the game. Download it again, i upgraded the link.

NEW LINK: Click here!

I build it again, statically linking dlls this time.

I realize you don't have much leeway in terms of gameplay. I also realize that this game was made, not to design a game from the ground up, but simply to bring a game program to completion. I don't have access to your source code, and this isn't in the Game Programming section, so I can't say anything useful about your programming, except that it never crashed for me, and I haven't run into any bugs. It uses more CPU and RAM resources than I would have expected -- nothing critical, but more that I expected. What I can critique is just the presentation.

The one actual flaw in the gameplay itself is a lack of cat's-game detection. When I come to a point where neither player can win, I don't want to have to put X's and O's down pointlessly, I want the game to automatically count a draw, and start over.

The controls of the game are a bit awkward. Esc is the natural choice for a pause button, not Backspace. Esc quits the game, yes, but this is a windowed app -- I can use the X to quit. It's also not entirely clear that Backspace returns to the main menu from the information menu.

But beyond specific keybindings, there is the greater issue that the use of mouse and keyboard doesn't gel. To see my point, note that everything in the game is done with the keyboard -- the cursor doesn't even show up on screen when it's over the game window. The info menu says nothing about the mouse being used. Then I press Enter to begin the game, and find I can't do anything with whatever keys I press. The game has suddenly switched to being mouse-only.

This is trivial to fix, as long as you're willing to add clickable buttons to the main menu. Then mouse control becomes integral to the game, with a few hotkeys that I can easily find listed in the info menu.

What the game really needs is feedback. Win a game and *POP* the board is reset instantly, the only recognition that anything even happened being the incrementing score counter at the bottom. What you need is for the interface to be juicy: To start with, play a sound effect and a short animation. If you draw a strike through the board, that's good. If you draw a tally in the win column for X or O, even better. The point is that the player feels like something is happening whenever they perform the smallest action (say, putting the cursor over an empty square) and something bigger elicits a bigger response from the game. Sound effects are much more important than music for exactly this reason.

@Dodopod, thank you very much for your feedback. Now that I played my game a bit more and reading your post I came to see that is really awkward to use half of the game only keyboard and the other half only the mouse. I wanted to implement more effects and animations when a player win because when I played the game in testing mode, puting X and O on random squares I had to watch every time what score changed to see who won, but I am a programmer not an artist so I have to work more on graphics. I am trying to implement now a menu with clickable buttons and to improve gameplaye. This is what I must code right now:

• AI
  • Clickable buttons for main menu (Done)
  • Change graphics a bit (Done)
  • Add sound effects when an action is done(Done)
  • Add short animations for menu, player wins, draws and mouse clicks, and mouse over empty square.
  • Try to detect and why it use so much cpu and ram resources.(Done)

Hello people,

I upgraded the graphics on my TIC-TAC-TOE game and made it mouse only. If you like it please check this out : Download Link.

Whenever I press play, the game seems to register my click twice -- first to start the game, and then to place and X on the middle-right square.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement