Which will be better for gui?

Started by
26 comments, last by blutzeit 10 years, 4 months ago

See it like this:

For your game, you want something function, but doesn't slows your game down to a slug. CEGUI is (appearantly, I never worked with it directly) one of the better options for that.

For your editor, you probably still don't really want it to slow down by a lot, but it's a stand alone application that makes use of your engine (doesn't even need to), The stuff your UI needs to do in here is probably a lot more varying than what it should be able to do in your game, or more data oriented I guess. So QT might be the better choice here, provided it does what you need for the editor.

So it's just weighing off your choices. What do you need, do you need full speed for the editor etc.

I didn't do any proper GUI work to give you the final solution, but if I would, those are a few of the questions I would ask myself when making something.

My game being slow is not good so thanks for the advice on using CEGUI.
For the game engine, i think i may be confused. Doesn't unity/udk game engines have user interfaces i.e. you want to edit the world then you click on the world editor button and the screen changes, you want to import/export a model then you click the import/export button and a drop down menu appears, you get the picture right. I may be confused. Can some post a photo of the first screen they see when they click on their game engine icon and it loads, it'll help me get a clearer picture.

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
Total LOC: ~3M Lines
Total Languages: ~32

--
GREAT QUOTES:
I can do ALL things through Christ - Jesus Christ
--
Logic will get you from A-Z, imagination gets you everywhere - Albert Einstein
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

Advertisement

Unity and UDK come with world builders, but that's not the engine. The game engine is just a collection of prewritten classes and functions that you can call in your code.

A GUI is nothing more than more than some images being drawn onscreen like anything else, most games create their own GUI elements in the engine. Generally they don't have to be as "complex" as a generic GUI toolkit like QT is or something. For instance you might add some boxes on your screen that hold items and react to mouse clicks, you can do that just by tracking mouse movement and creating reactions to clicks.

Torque is just one example of engine architecture, their engine has a sort of "editing mode" that is enabled in game just by having the configuration set up a certain way, this isn't necessarily how all engines work. In fact usually all the content creation tools are totally separate programs or at least are launched by providing certain special command line options to the engine to load it in a sort of "editor mode." There's no real rule about this, valve's source engine for example, they do all their map editing and content creation with separate tools.

How the "engine" is represented can vary a lot as well, a lot of times the game's executable is the engine, and just has game code layered ontop of it, some companies use things like dll's to represent their engine or static external libraries, it's really a case by case thing.

Unity and UDK come with world builders, but that's not the engine. The game engine is just a collection of prewritten classes and functions that you can call in your code.

Ok, i just did some googling on unreal engine gui, what is the kismet editor (i think that's what i need)

UNREAL ENGINE 4:

--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

I think kismet is a visual scripting tool. So a level designer could easily say create a door that opens when you move near it, just by bringing up a few boxes and connecting them with lines. It's an easier way for designers to script a level quickly without having to worry about coding. It's a guess here but I think Game Maker has similar tools.

Is this right, a game engine like udk is made of subsystems including audio, graphics, AI, input system and others like memory management, world editor, scene manager etc. but to use these for your game, you write code and make your 'game ui' within the engine using something like CEGUI but all these subsystems combined to give a single sofware i.e. the engine itself and the engine has no ui so when you compile your game, it runs on the engine but the engine with ui without giving the user access to the engine tools. I'm guessing i mixed up somethings there.
Let's say my engine will use ogre, physx, havok ai and physics, directx etc. So only the renderer (ogre) and the world editor (ogre) will have a ui but physx won't have a ui. Confused

UNREAL ENGINE 4:

--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--

I hope this isn't too demanding but can someone download the game engine fundamentals pdf because under the high level systems of a game engine, i see 'front end (user interface)' and i'm confused except 'front end(user interface)' means something different from my post.

UNREAL ENGINE 4:

--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--

Let's say my engine will use ogre, physx, havok ai and physics, directx etc. So only the renderer (ogre) and the world editor (ogre) will have a ui but physx won't have a ui. Confused

I think your confused because your trying to dive in to too many things too quickly - its like if I was trying to derive the equations for a time varying signal propagating in different mediums from maxwells equations in my EE freshmen year..

a game engine like unity or unreal most likely uses their own ui system in game which IS part of the engine - it doesnt have anything to do with the other parts of the engine other than it may be possible to invoke other engine functions on ui events.. but this UI system doesn't necessarily have to do with the toolkit's UI system.. some engine toolkits do use the underlying engine's UI system but they dont have to

toolkit UIs are their own applications that can either use the underlying engine for rendering etc.. or not use the engine at all - but create files that the engine can use and knows how to load - these toolkits may let you do things like let you graphically create game menus for the game - the engine ui system would then just need to know how to read the format generated by the tool

Instead of creating a world editor from scratch for Ogre you may check out http://www.ogitor.org/

It is open source and I think contributing towards something that exists would be better than trying to start from scratch.

Instead of creating a world editor from scratch for Ogre you may check out http://www.ogitor.org/

It is open source and I think contributing towards something that exists would be better than trying to start from scratch.

Thanks, i don't intend on creating anything from scratch except some things and a reall important really special thing i'll put in the engine but i do need their source codes. Been planning for features but this UI stuff. Hm

UNREAL ENGINE 4:

--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement