Multisampling Gamma Correction Problem

Started by
11 comments, last by zz2 10 years, 2 months ago

Hi,

I have multisampled rendertarget where I use red channel as some sort stencil data, but the problem is I get incorrect results around borders if "Antialiasing - Gamma Correction" is set to on in Nvidia Control Panel. Is there a way to turn that off while I am writing to that specific render target (if user has it enabled in graphics card's control panel)?

Edit: screenshots
Antialiasing - Gamma Correction set to

On
http://i.cubeupload.com/stXIKw.png

Off

http://i.cubeupload.com/QaCO9K.png

While creating these two screenshot I noticed that artifacts caused by gamma correction are also visible in other areas. Like in background text. Text is outlined when gamma correction is on (but should not be). Text is not rendered with bitmap font, but as vector shapes.

Advertisement

What texture format are you using for your render target?

Cheers!

32-bit ARGB pixel format with alpha, using 8 bits per channel.

Is it a format with _SRGB ending?

[edit]If you need only one channel, you could use either DXGI_FORMAT_A8_UNORM format or store the data in the alpha component. Typically the alpha component isn't affected by gamma correction.

Cheers!

I don't know. I am using XNA framework and I am not sure which exact underlying D3D surface it uses. Here is the full list of supported surfaces: SurfaceFormat Enumeration (I'm using Color surface).

I tried setting SRGBWriteEnable to false in shader as described here, but I get compiler error that it is obsolete.

However the plan is to migrate whole project to MonoGame after it is feature complete (MonoGame acts as drop in replacement for XNA). So even if correcting this might not be possible in pure XNA, any hack for MonoGame would be OK too. smile.png

Edit: Two channels are needed. One contains alpha override data and the other stencil mask that specifies where alpha override gets applied. Stencil mask is written to red channel and alpha override to alpha channel.

I'm trying to limit what graphic features are used to XNA's Reach profile, so that porting mobile platforms would be easier later on. (Or at least have an alternative renderpath that for Reach profile.)
Reach profile's texture formats are: Color, Bgr565, Bgra5551, Bgra4444, NormalizedByte2, NormalizedByte4, Dxt1, Dxt3, Dxt5

XNA 4 no longer supports SRGBWriteEnable and you can consider it set to false. So you can assume that XNA won't do any gamma operations. Now, what Nvidia overrides this to is completely different.

Can Nvidia's override be controlled/disabled?

Well, you should balance your rendering pipeline around default settings. There is no way one setting will mix well with any configurable overrides.

My default is "On".

On the other hand, it says that it only affects OpenGL programs. So there is something strange going on.

You say you are having problems around borders and you mentioned render targets. You gave far too little detail, so let me do some wild guessing: maybe you have your device set up with antialiasing and you are drawing the render target using a full screen quad and the border you are getting is due to to the full screen quad borders getting antialiased with the background?

Edit: Sorry, I forgot you mentioned XNA. So a limited DirectX 9. I would double check what I said above. Try to create you device with PreferMultisampling false, and when you create the render target give that a multisample count.

Border appears around stencil masked shape not around full screen quad. This happens only when "Antialiasing - Gamma Correction" is set to on. If its turned off it renders correctly. I will post screenshots with that setting turned on and off. I tired creating device with PreferMultisampling false and multisampled render targets. The problem still persists. My guess is that artifacts are caused because I save stencil data into red channel which is being gamma corrected around stencil shape's edges (stencil mask is created by rendering 2D vector shape into multisampled render target).

Which driver version are you using. It doesn't say that it only affects OpenGL programs in the version I have installed, that's v331.93. Maybe they changed description? Researching the subject I found this forum thread, where OP claims that description in Nvidia control panel is false because Antialiasing - Gamma Correction option also affects Direct3D games like Half-Life 2 and Call of Duty.

Hmmm, well now. I generally don't expect the docs to lie.

I am no gamma correction expert, but I do recognize its value and always use it. Having gamma corrected AA is the correct way to do it. All multisampling must be corrected for gamma and HDR for correct results.

So I guess that there is no way around having your red channel corrected for AA and not corrected for the rest, because XNA does not support sRGB. There may be a few things to try. For starters, you could use the alpha channel, but that may not work due to multiple issues, like premultiplication/non premultiplication. And you could try using a real stencil buffer.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement