Portals

Started by
28 comments, last by TheComet 10 years, 1 month ago

Why not talk about... portals?

387px-Portal_physics-2.svg_.png

(Not related to Valve's Portal).

I'm not a physicist, and I have a lot to learn yet. But, isn't this "wormhole" idea a little too much absurd?

wormhole_graphic.jpg

Why not think in wireless communication instead? What if matter could be converted to specific waves and then transferred perfectly to any "receiver" (And then converted back)? It's a concept much different from "wormholes". It would work much like radio. Is this idea widespread? (I have no idea), or everyone always think in "wormholes"? (I guess it would not work exactly like in the Valve's game, considering the "conversion time". So, it would end up being more like a "teleport" instead of a portal.)

Creator and only composer at Poisone Wein and Übelkraft dark musical projects:

Advertisement

Why not think in wireless communication instead? What if matter could be converted to specific waves and then transferred perfectly to any "receiver" (And then converted back)? It's a concept much different from "wormholes". It would work much like radio. Is this idea widespread?

That's essentially how the transporters in Star Trek work. Their biggest shortcoming is being limited to the speed of light, so they would be no good for long distance travel.

Why not think in wireless communication instead? What if matter could be converted to specific waves and then transferred perfectly to any "receiver" (And then converted back)? It's a concept much different from "wormholes". It would work much like radio. Is this idea widespread?

That's essentially how the transporters in Star Trek work. Their biggest shortcoming is being limited to the speed of light, so they would be no good for long distance travel.

You're right, it reminds a lot Star Trek. How long is that "long distance"? If it was from a country to another, I guess it would be good enough already :).

Also haven't physicists such as Einstein actually predicted that Wormholes should actually exist and physicists such as Heisenberg prooved that transmitting a person via radiowaves would be impossible because of the uncertaincy principle.

You're right, it reminds a lot Star Trek. How long is that "long distance"? If it was from a country to another, I guess it would be good enough already smile.png.

By long distance, I was referring to interstellar travel.

and physicists such as Heisenberg prooved that transmitting a person via radiowaves would be impossible because of the uncertaincy principle.

And that is why Star Trek's transporters use a Heisenberg Compensator smile.png

"I can't believe I'm defending logic to a turing machine." - Kent Woolworth [Other Space]

and physicists such as Heisenberg prooved that transmitting a person via radiowaves would be impossible because of the uncertaincy principle.

And that is why Star Trek's transporters use a Heisenberg Compensator smile.png

Haha.. I'm reading about those transporters to get to the "Heisenberg Compensator" part.

Converting matter into energy, transmitting it, and reconstructing the matter using that energy is something that will never be able to work for the following reasons.

• The first issue is the sheer amount of energy to convert. For instance, I weigh 68kg, so my conversion would result in E=mc^2 = 6.1e18 joules (6.1 quintillion). To give you a means of comparison, you could power the entire human race on planet earth for approximately 3.5 days if you were to use me as fuel.
  • Conversion is never 100% efficient. Realistically, we could assume 98%? Well, how would you like 2% of your body missing after transport?
  • You can't transmit 6.1e18 joules of energy over long distances, and even if you could, transmission through the air follows the inverse square rule, where the amount of energy left decreases exponentially over distance.

If you think of portals as intersections of 3D space through the 4th dimension, they make perfect sense. But who knows how to manipulate space in the 4th dimension, and how much power something like that would require?

Interesting Star Trek fact: Filming a landing sequence did not fit into their budget, so they had to invent "beaming" in order to make up for it.

"I would try to find halo source code by bungie best fps engine ever created, u see why call of duty loses speed due to its detail." -- GettingNifty

I'm not a physicist, and I have a lot to learn yet. But, isn't this...

Playing armchair-physicists is fun.

We get to make up all kinds of fun new rules that have no basis in reality.

To give you a means of comparison, you could power the entire human race on planet earth for approximately 3.5 days if you were to use me as fuel.

And a new unit of energy is born: 1 TheComet = 6.1e18 joules

As for the additional dimensions, I recall reading that some physicists are trying to re-formulate all the classic equations for a hybrid dimensional system, where we have the 3 orthogonal spatial dimensions, and then we have additional orthogonal non-spatial dimensions of parallel universes that we could theoretically move through. There are a lot of weird multi-verse theories that blow my mind.

To give you a means of comparison, you could power the entire human race on planet earth for approximately 3.5 days if you were to use me as fuel.[/*]

• Conversion is never 100% efficient. Realistically, we could assume 98%? Well, how would you like 2% of your body missing after transport?[/*]
  • LoL. Wouldn't you like to donate. That would make a blue whale power the human race for?

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
    Total LOC: ~3M Lines
    Total Languages: ~32

--
    GREAT QUOTES:
    I can do ALL things through Christ - Jesus Christ
    --
    Logic will get you from A-Z, imagination gets you everywhere - Albert Einstein
    --
    The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement