The Subscription Model needs to be adjusted.

Started by
60 comments, last by JohnnyCode 10 years ago
Oh definately. Can't forget that good ol' kickstarter! It's almost a no brainier to go that route, at least for now.

They call me the Tutorial Doctor.

Advertisement

Don't read Atlas Shrugged. Its cool as a story but sadly its jam packed with Manifesto. Its like HPMOR but even more obnoxious.

The 'manifesto' is why I recommended it :cool:

Ayn Rand was a very vocal proponent of capitalism, and the book is very relevant to the question of FOSS software development.
Ayn Rand was a fucking moron. Her understanding of society and economics rivals that of a particularly slow toddler.

And by all means, read her nonsense. It's like the bible; it's only when you actually read that you can recognise how truly awful it is.
if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

It's like the bible; it's only when you actually read that you can recognise how truly awful it is.

Eh...

Don't read Atlas Shrugged. Its cool as a story but sadly its jam packed with Manifesto. Its like HPMOR but even more obnoxious.

The 'manifesto' is why I recommended it cool.png

Ayn Rand was a very vocal proponent of capitalism, and the book is very relevant to the question of FOSS software development.
Ayn Rand was a fucking moron. Her understanding of society and economics rivals that of a particularly slow toddler.

And by all means, read her nonsense. It's like the bible; it's only when you actually read that you can recognise how truly awful it is.

I can recognize how awful it is without reading it. I don't have to shoot myself to know I don't like that, same goes for bible.

You could easily say the same thing about Richard M. Stallman, but many people in the FOSS community seem to dig what he says.

"The multitudes see death as tragic. If this were true, so then would be birth"

- Pisha, Vampire the Maquerade: Bloodlines

You could easily say the same thing about Richard M. Stallman, but many people in the FOSS community seem to dig what he says.

Yeah, you haven't done enough research on Rand if you compare them.

Yeah, you haven't done enough research on Rand if you compare them.

I'll admit, RMS is probably a bit further "out there" than Rand is.

Both of them espouse(d) ideals that don't really work well in the real world. Both of them oppose(d) a contrary ideal they saw as a growing threat to freedom. One of them peels things off his foot to eat on stage when he gets hungry. Of the two, I think Rand's ideal is worth striving for much more than RMS's. Especially as a game designer, btw: MMO economies tend to be VERY Randian.

People who create things should be fairly compensated for them. I've known more than a few people I believe are legitimately worth more than a million dollars a year (I've also met people earning that much who... well let's just say were worth somewhat less, IMHO).

Part of the problem for RMS may be due to him locking himself away in an ivory tower of academia never using "non-free" software, which means he has no idea what most of the software written these days does, who it is written for, or how it works. Rand's problem was similar, though from a different cause, seeing the extremes growing in the Warsaw Pact nations and what they were doing to the people there.

Even Alan Greenspan [whether you agreed with his particular brand of economics or not, _no one_ understood the American economy the way he did] erred on the side of "humanity" believing that corporations would hold themselves to at least some standard of ethics - this oversight contributed (not caused) to one of the latest banking/wall street bailouts (there have been so many I've lost track).

Sometimes you need to see, study, and understand the extremes so you can find the right balance in the middle.

Much of life follows that pattern.

"The multitudes see death as tragic. If this were true, so then would be birth"

- Pisha, Vampire the Maquerade: Bloodlines

No, I mean Rand is way more out there than Stallman. Not only will corporations not limit their excesses but individual followers of Rand have shown what will happen if more people subscribe to her ideology.

The problem with fair compensation is that there is no such thing. Especially in the arts, the creative careers, politics and so forth. And perhaps most of all in finance and capital based industries. Which includes executives and what not.

To AltarOfScience. I just have to say that if anything, the theme of the Bible is insight into just how aweful humanity is, rather than how awful God is for judging humanity for their awfulness. The state of the world today is evidence.

But on topic, end of topic. hehe.

To AltarOfScience. I just have to say that if anything, the theme of the Bible is insight into just how aweful humanity is, rather than how awful God is for judging humanity for their awfulness. The state of the world today is evidence.

But on topic, end of topic. hehe.

Humanity is also aweful at spelling. Well, awful at spelling.

As for the bible, your comment has nothing to do with the original bible related comment.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement