Finding a 2D game engine that does not require programming in their environment

Started by
11 comments, last by kop0113 10 years ago

I'm a somewhat experienced programmer (Junior CS major in college) and when I was younger I used to be EXTREMELY into game development. However, my engine of choice was GameMaker, and as we all know that's a bit limited. After becoming a better programmer, I decided I wanted to come back and make some simple 2D games using a real language. However, I haven't been able to find a good 2D engine that lets me develop in my own environment; almost all of them require me to use their own special scripting language or require me programming most of the engine myself. What I would like in a engine is:

1. Programming is done in my own environment (emacs, vim) in an established language (like C++ or Python)
  2. I can quickly program objects (engine handles things like collision, creation and destruction of objects and scenes, etc)
  3. I can quickly place objects and design levels (I would really like to be able to use tiled to design my levels)
  4. It handles input and is easy to integrate in objects
  5. Built-in collision detection

Bonus points for:

1. Physics
  2. Android/iOS/HTML5 support

The closest I have found to something I would like is melonjs, however I really don't like programming in javascript and it doesn't compile to native code (not that I would expect it to).

In an ideal world, I would like to make a simple pong game with something like this:

import engine
import sprites
import scenes

class PlayerPaddle(engine.GameObject):
    sprite = sprites.PaddleSprite
    game = 0;

def __init__(self, game):
        self.game = game
        game.add_object(self, 'PlayerPaddle') # could be handled by parent
        self.x = 0
        self.y = 0
        super(PlayerPaddle, self)

def update(self):
        if (self.game.input.keyboard.up):
            self.y -= 2

if (self.game.input.keyboard.down):
            self.y += 2

def draw(self):
        engine.draw_sprite(self.x, self.y, self.sprite)

class ComputerPaddle(engine.GameObject):
    sprite = sprites.PaddleSprite
    game = 0

self.game = game
        game.add_object(self, 'ComputerPaddle') # could be handled by parent
        self.x = game.current_scene.width-32
        self.y = 0
        super(ComputerPaddle, self)

def update(self):
        if (self.game.objects['ball'][0].y > y)
            self.y -= 2

if (self.game.objects['ball'][0].y < y)
            self.y += 2

def draw(self):

class Ball(engine.GameObject):
    sprite = sprites.BallSprite
    game = 0

self.game = game
        self.hspeed = 5
        self.vspeed = 5
        self.x = game.scene.width/2
        self.y = game.scene.height/2

game.add_object(self, 'ball') # could be handled by parent
        super(Ball, self)

def update(self):
        if (engine.collides(self, game.objects['PlayerPaddle'] or
            engine.collides(self, game.objects['ComputerPaddle']):
            hspeed = -hspeed

if (y < 0 or y > game.current_scene.height):
            vspeed = -vspeed

super(Ball, self)

def draw(self):
        super(Ball, self)

game = engine.Game()
game.set_scene( scenes.scenes['pong'] )
while (game.is_running):
    game.update()
    game.sleep_off_frame()

I REALLY rushed through this so the python is definately wrong (and I'm not spectacular at it), but I think you get the general idea. 90% of the code is defining the behaviour of the objects, and the engine itself handles things like drawing the sprites, view locations, collisions, input, object movement, etc.

What I have tried so far:

• GameMaker
    Pros: Easy to get a basic game down, handles resources for me
    Cons: I have to program in their limited language, not open source, stores projects in a way that I can only really use gamemaker with it, can't develop on linux
  • MelonJS
    Pros: Does about what I want
    Cons: I have to program in javascript which I really don't like, web only
  • Roll my own with SFML (I am actually decently far into my own game engine, but I want to actually make games now)
    Pros: Does exacly what I want
    Cons: Extremely hard, buggy, takes forever, I have to write my own algorithms for everything and develop my own tools, unfeasible
  • Unity
    Pros: Established community, good engine, compiles for everything I could want
    Cons: Can't develop on linux, basic 2D support, I have to learn how to use the entire program

I know this is a really really common question, but I still haven't found a good engine for what I want, even after reading FAQs, etc. I would really appreciate some help.

Advertisement
Sorry answer: c++\sfml, this is a great library for c++. Or unity for less coding but allows c++ scripting.

Long answer comming. No time now ;)

Give those a look:

- Angel http://angel2d.com engine in C++, scripting with Lua. It's main focus lays on prototyping. Supports mobile,

Win, Mac, Linux.

- Urho2D https://github.com/urho3d/Urho3D Primarily a 3D engine, but they recently started doing some 2d stuff too. The advantage here is that you pretty much have everything covered, in my eyes it is one of the best open source engines right now. Engine is written in C++, scripting is done either vie Lua or Angelscript. Supports mobile,

Win, Mac, Linux and Raspi.

Cheers!

Unity3D. It supports C#.

Or. if you're willing to pay, Unreal Engine 4 uses C++.

Edit: Ok, so I'm a poor reader. UE4 is 3D. But Unity can also do 2D, despite its name. Add Duality to that (it's another C# 2D engine).

I suggest LOVE2D...

Its a really nice 2d engine... you must have to program in LUA script, but its very versatile and the 'code style' is somewhat like what you want.

I did use the Love2d in a GameJam this year... and.. its very friendly... have a lot o documentation, is cross platform and have a good performance.

Give it a try - https://love2d.org/

KrinosX

I personaly like ORX a lot, it is a 2d engine that uses C (there is a C++ set called Scroll).

The whole lib is based on writting code and ini files to describe your objects. After you get the grip of it you can develop some cool effects quite fast.

As for the bonus:

- There is a community made Tiled exporter (the exporter works only on windows AFAIK).

- It can create binaries for linux, windows, OSX, IOS and android.

- It uses Box2d for physics.

Currently working on a scene editor for ORX (http://orx-project.org), using kivy (http://kivy.org).

To add to the others

PyGame? It's python like you requested.

Monogame, though thats C#.

Unity doesn't allow C++ scripting that I know of. (Not that I've looked hard for a way to try)

Unity3D. It supports C#.

Unity doesn't allow C++ scripting that I know of. (Not that I've looked hard for a way to try)

The last I knew, you could only use the C/C++ bindings for Unity if you had the licensed version (for $3k or whatever it was) otherwise you could use C# (or Boo or Javascript I think) inside their editor...which is what the OP doesn't want I think.

Has this changed with the new licensing structure? (The update with the per/month fee?)

The last I knew, you could only use the C/C++ bindings for Unity if you had the licensed version (for $3k or whatever it was) otherwise you could use C# (or Boo or Javascript I think) inside their editor...which is what the OP doesn't want I think.

Well, the OP said

1. Programming is done in my own environment (emacs, vim) in an established language (like C++ or Python)

He said 'like', so I assumed what he meant 'established language' is something that is thoroughly popular, with complete documentations, and thus a huge community support. I might be wrong in my assumption, but if I'm correct, then I believe C# fits the bill.

I would recommend having a look at Moai,

http://getmoai.com/

it does everything you want, runs on all platforms imaginable, open source so you get all the C++ code.

I hadn't paid attention to it for a while and I just had another look recently and it looks like it has come a long way.

"To know the road ahead, ask those coming back."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement