msvc "install" command?

Started by
4 comments, last by All8Up 9 years, 11 months ago

Hey,

What is the "make install DESTDIR=whatever" equivalent with MSVC? I don't have an NMake makefile, all I have is the solution file. I'd like to be able to build it and install it to a custom location from the command line. Is this possible?

"I would try to find halo source code by bungie best fps engine ever created, u see why call of duty loses speed due to its detail." -- GettingNifty
Advertisement

I'm not comfortable with NMake but CMake creates an INSTALL project in your solution which is the "make install" equivalent. So you can build this project from the command-line and it should dump your build folder into C:\Program Files (x86)\YourProgramName. I don't know if there is an easy way to change the install directory.

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

It's probably possible to achieve something similar by specifying some custom post-build steps, but yeah, choosing CMake over manual sln would be probably recommended, and makes this among many other stuff a lot easier.

Okay thanks.

Another question then:

Is it even worth compiling cross-platform code using MSVC? If I just installed the various Windows ports of gcc, cygwin and make, my life would be infinitely better, but I am unsure of the benefits.

The library currently in question is zziplib. It ships with a configure script, which works fine on systems supporting a unix-like environment, and for windows environments they provide solution files for various visual studio versions, and I've never figured out how to automate the build process on Windows using these solution files. Half of them don't even work properly without manual changes, and like I mentioned before, you can't "install" something using them.

So how do Windows developers go about distributing a library?

"I would try to find halo source code by bungie best fps engine ever created, u see why call of duty loses speed due to its detail." -- GettingNifty

MsBuild is your friend :-)

Also, moving this to the appropriate forum.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

I'm not comfortable with NMake but CMake creates an INSTALL project in your solution which is the "make install" equivalent. So you can build this project from the command-line and it should dump your build folder into C:\Program Files (x86)\YourProgramName. I don't know if there is an easy way to change the install directory.

As long as all the install commands work on relative items, the variable CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX allows you to tell CMake where to perform the actual install. It defaults to "C:/Program Files/<solution name>" and you can change it in cmake at anytime after the project command (i.e. after cache is loaded) or simply modify it in the cmake-gui.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement