Java or Python

Started by
25 comments, last by Gian-Reto 9 years, 8 months ago

Hi everybody! I need to start with a language. I've read the article What Language Do I Use? and I'm now deciding between Python and Java.

Depending on the course I'll take (I'm about to start university), I'll learn Java+C (from the first year) or C++ (from the second year), but they are two different courses and I can't choose Java+C and C++.

Aims? Blizzard or Riot. I know it's gonna be tough, but I'll run as fast as I can. From graphic-less games to 2D games to something better and better.

If you recommend another language (possibly not C#, as I've read some bad reviews), go ahead!

Feel free to ask any question!

Advertisement

I'm a bit confused after reading your title and thread. Why are you deciding between Python and Java again? Sounds like you are supposed to compare Java and C++ instead.

Also, what's better and better than 2D games?

I'm a bit confused after reading your title and thread. Why are you deciding between Python and Java again? Sounds like you are supposed to compare Java and C++ instead.

I want to start coding on my own before (and during and after) university, so I just said what courses I can choose.
I know C++ is actually very used (about 80% maybe) in the gaming industry, but it's been told to me not to directly start with it.

Also, what's better and better than 2D games?

I meant I can improve, starting from a 2D little game to something bigger. Or maybe a 3D game, too

Depends on you short-to-medium term goals.

If you want to learn what they're using in the industry, if you're talking big names like Blizzard, there's a high chance of C++ though they (the game development studios) use other languages such as Python/Lua for embedding.

In you want an advice about what to learn before going to Uni to learn your first language and learn about developing games, I'm biased for Python.

Fun, tight, clear language with some good libs for game development such as PySDL, PyGames and Kivy (follow they Pong tutorial, really impressive how fast you can build something with this framework). As a bonus during you career, there'll always be a moment where you'll wing a piece of Python code to do some odd job for you.

+1 for Java.

http://www.indiegameprogramming.com/

I think, therefore I am. I think? - "George Carlin"
My Website: Indie Game Programming

My Twitter: https://twitter.com/indieprogram

My Book: http://amzn.com/1305076532

Depends on you short-to-medium term goals.
If you want to learn what they're using in the industry, if you're talking big names like Blizzard, there's a high chance of C++ though they (the game development studios) use other languages such as Python/Lua for embedding.

In you want an advice about what to learn before going to Uni to learn your first language and learn about developing games, I'm biased for Python.
Fun, tight, clear language with some good libs for game development such as PySDL, PyGames and Kivy (follow they Pong tutorial, really impressive how fast you can build something with this framework). As a bonus during you career, there'll always be a moment where you'll wing a piece of Python code to do some odd job for you.

Blizzard and Riot are my aims, really. Not saying I don't want to start from below, I do! They are just my goals.
I know about Python being used almost everywhere, even if not as the main language; though I'm starting university within 2 months, so I don't really have time to do a long-time project to finish BEFORE joining the university. Instead I'm looking for something to go along with for months.

+1 for Java.

http://www.indiegameprogramming.com/

That's cool! I didn't know about it. Though it seems there are many disadvantages if I study Java as I've read in the article I posted above. That's why I decided to ask here!

In general, C# is a good language, safe to say "easier" than some languages and one of the more beginner friendly compared to C++ in the long term. Productivity is said to be good with C#. It has some limitations but all languages do.

Python is a good language for scripting a game in some development frameworks. Java is a good all-around general language.

Really the language that you choose should typically be determined by the game engine or other type of development framework that one will be using, except that beginners should avoid C++ for the most part. The C++ is best for a second language after the coder reaches at least intermediate level in another language first. C++ allows the beginner to make sloppy coding habits too much to be a first language. Perhaps you know enough about coding to avoid the C++ tolerance for inferior coding.

All just my humble opinions you got here, but many would agree with me.

EDITED: By the way: If you choose Java, then take a look at jMonkey engine.

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

That's cool! I didn't know about it. Though it seems there are many disadvantages if I study Java as I've read in the article I posted above. That's why I decided to ask here!

There will be time spent learning how to program. 10 years from now, there may be some new things out there that makes all this time spent on anything a waste of time if you're trying to master a specific language. So don't approach it from that direction. Pick a language and learn to use it. Any object oriented language will teach you the basics of programming. Variables, control structures, classes, inheritance, composition, polymorphism, data structures, GUIs, File I/O, networking, threads, graphics, etc... The list goes on.

It is less important what you pick, and more important that you pick something, knowing full well the knowledge for that specific technology will only last a few years.

P.S. Since that's my website, I'm a little biased towards Java.

I think, therefore I am. I think? - "George Carlin"
My Website: Indie Game Programming

My Twitter: https://twitter.com/indieprogram

My Book: http://amzn.com/1305076532

P.S. Since that's my website, I'm a little biased towards Java.

Yeah, I noticed ;)

Python is a good language for scripting a game in some development frameworks. Java is a good all-around general language.

So, Java knowing my aims?

Really the language that you choose should typically be determined by the game engine or other type of development framework that one will be using

Don't know yet sad.png I don't know anything about game engines

Now that even big studios like Blizzard is using Unity, C# seems like a very strong option.

Python is great if you want to get up and running extremely quickly and is highly suitable for smaller demos and short-lived projects, such as 48h competitions etc. For larger and longer-running projects, I'd go for Java or C# any day though.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement