Intersting Game Idea

Started by
18 comments, last by slayemin 9 years, 8 months ago

I have had a good idea (which Is rare for me) of a game where you play as a "vigilante" who is a modern Street runner who believes he can make the world a better place so he decides to take out the small gun market so he starts to take out gangs and the player can choose to tackle as little or as many enemies he wants and after he knocks out the enemies he can either take their guns or disassemble or break their guns depending on what option he choses the player will get the choice to create themselves a new weapon for example if the player were to get 6 pistol barrels and a gas canister the player could create a air gun or something along that lines. Also I would like my game to be first person.

I have had no experience making a game and cannot code.unsure.png

I would like this to be a little indie project or possibly a large game and would fully enjoy you honest opinions.

Thank You for reading this.

Advertisement

So what do you want? Learn to code? Or you're looking for a team?

I am looking for advice whether I should learn to code or assemble a team or if I should kickstart it or if I should scrap the project. And also what I should make it with I am planning on using the free unity to make a small version of this game and if it is popular assemble a team who will help it become a full proper game instead of being an indie game.

I have come up with a title

The "Hero(ish)"

If you want to make games yourself, put that game idea away for a while and start smaller. A lot smaller. Pong complexity is what you'll be focusing on for quite a while.

See the FAQ for more details.

If you want to get a team to join you, you'll need to bring more to the table than just an idea. Be it art skills, programming, level design abilities, etc.

While it might seem a bit harsh, you would probably benefit from reading this as well.

Making games is difficult, and will require a lot of time. If you stick to it, you can achieve quite amazing things, either on your own or as a part of a team, but the likelyhood of you basically starting from nothing and pursuing a dream project with no prior experience AND finishing it are practically zero.

Hello to all my stalkers.

Getting a "team" together with only an idea will not go very well ( this has been talked about many times before) .

You need to:

1: Have a detailed plan on what you want your game to do, and how it will be accomplished.

2: Figure out which game engine you will want to use - or if you want to build a game from scratch.

3: Figure out which language you will need to learn to create your game - you will have to learn to code.

4: Produce a prototype of your game to show off.

5: Attempt to recruit or hire folks .

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

You might have fun trying to turn your ideas into a board game, pen-and-paper RPG, or other table-top style game. No coding necessary, obviously. History, the past few decades especially, have proven that there is a huge possibility space with non-digital games. It also gives you an excuse to play around with crafts, if that's something you find fun.

This sort of approach will teach and exercise game design skills, particularly the design of game mechanics. This can definitely carry over into digital games as well. (There are differences for sure, but a lot of similarities too, which I worry often go unrecognized!) Plus, if you have a playable and fun physical game that can be demonstrated, it can be much easier to get a team together, because there's already proof that the core mechanics translate into an enjoyable experience, and everyone can quickly get a tangible sense of what the vision for the game is.

"We should have a great fewer disputes in the world if words were taken for what they are, the signs of our ideas only, and not for things themselves." - John Locke

I am planning on using the free version of unity to create a small version of my idea and plan to kickstart it and assemble a team to create a bigger version.

I am planning on using the free version of unity to create a small version of my idea and plan to kickstart it and assemble a team to create a bigger version.

This is a fine and good idea, and shows you at least took part of the advices given above serious:

a) don't try to assemble a team without prior expierience and with nothing to show / no skill to contribute

b) start smaller

Just to make sure you also got the other advices:

c) you will need A LOT of time to even create the smaller version, especially if you have no prior expiereince with making games (and just to make really sure, we are talking years here, depending on the amount of time you can allocate to this project of course)

d) Your idea alone is not worth a penny. Simple, but harsh truth. Your execution of the idea might be worth a lot. Always remember that when you prepare for a Kickstarter. People most probably are not interested in your idea... they want to see how this idea translates to an actual game.

The last part might need some additional advice: With Kickstarter, you are selling your product to the Gamer, you are not pitching your idea to a publisher. So you will have to make your game idea not only come through from the prototype (which also holds true for pitching), you also need to make it look as good as you can.

Read some Kickstarter Postmortems for Informations on what you should take into account when preparing your campaign.

Thank you Gian-Reto I appreciate the honesty and am planning to create a very basic combat ands physics game demo to show off the potential.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement