unity monthly subscription question?

Started by
11 comments, last by Gian-Reto 9 years, 8 months ago

I have really not looked at Unity much, but the questions that come to my mind are:

• Can the free version be used for commercial purposes?
  • If not 1., can existing unreleased closed source code be legally transferred to the commercial pro-version later?
  • Is there a free version for Android and iOS?
  • How much effort is needed to port between platforms? I know the "native" platform languages and API's are different, but I understand Unity abstracts all of that nearly entirely.
  • Assuming 4. is somewhat less than "you really need to be working on all platforms from the very begining", why can you not just develop on Windows on the Free or Pro version until pretty late in development (you have a mobile like OS in Windows 8 if you need that), then get the extra mobile licenses later?
  • can you not pick either iOS or Android, and only if you have a successful project consider porting to the other?
  • If either 1. or 2., is there actually any feature in the Pro version you really need thats worth that investment?
  • If 7. and 3., why would you ever need to get the pro version?
It certainly seems to me like you should be able to proceed by paying nothing now, later maybe getting just the core pro version, sometime later getting one mobile addon, and only getting the second mobile addon after you start having some income.

1) Yes you can use it commercially, there is however a limit on your annual turnover (If you had a turnover above $100k the previous fiscal year you're not allowed to use the free version)

2) Yes you can transfer your code and work to the pro version whenever you want.

3) Yes, Android, iOS and Windows phone support is included in the free version

4) It depends, for a simple game there is not much effort at all required (As unity takes care of it and it is unlikely that you'll run into hardware limitations), If you need to use platform specific functionality or adapt your user interface / controls / etc to the platform there will be a bit of work required though and for more advanced mobile projects you will have to test things properly on a wide variety of hardware.

5) You could do that, Windows phone(and blackberry) support is included in the normal free and pro licenses (iOS and Android is only included in the free version, they cost extra in the pro version), you won't be able to test your game on iOS and Android without buying the extra licenses though so if you plan on releasing on both iOS and Android you will save time(and thus money if you are paying professionals to work for you) by getting both licenses from the start.

6) That is an option.

7) There are a whole bunch of features such as dynamic soft shadows, hdr, 3d textures, render-to-texture(required for a huge number of advanced shader effects), IK-rigs and productivity boosting functionality (scriptable asset pipeline, profiling tools, etc) that are cut out from the free version, so if you: A) need some of the cut features to make your game or B) value your own or your employees productivity (Which you would do if you're a professional as time = money) then you should get pro licenses.

8) Even if you don't need or want any of the pro-only features the free version can't be used by any business which had a annual turnover of more than $100k the previous fiscal year (Which basically means that it can only be used by start-ups, hobbyists and some really small and not very profitable companies).
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Advertisement

Repeating what was answered in your other, similar question elsewhere on the site:

You do not need to buy either one now. Pay them $0 until you need to buy the license.

Many hobby developers are able to release a large number of games before hitting their price requirements. The game engines are packed with features, and many people have successfully leveraged the engines to create and release successful games. Just download them both, try them both out, and make games with whichever you prefer, or even make games with both of them.

If you do happen to become successful, raking in $50,000 or $100,000 in one calendar year (depending on the platform), then you will need to spend a relatively small percentage of that money to buy a license. I figure if you used their tools to rake in a hundred thousand bucks, more than enough to replace your day job, giving a thousand to the engine creator is not a burden.

Really, meisterwerk, download Unity free and test it out yourself. There is NO POINT in delving this deep into questions that might be no concern really before you even tried out any of the engines you currently think about.

Ideally also download Unreal 4 and give both engines a short test run. See which you like better. Find out what features you really need. THEN start to worry about licencinsing needs and stuff like that.

If you don't have the time to invest some hours into playing around with both engines, you will not have the time to develop a game.

See it as an opportunity to start your learning process of how to build your game.

Also, I hope you are aware of the following:

For iOS development, you WILL need a Mac and AFAIK Xcode. There might be hacks to get around these requirements, but they are not sanctioned by Apple and you might get into trouble for it.

IDK if you can develop for Android on a Mac (most probably you can). So this will be a non-issue for you as a mac user, but might be an issue if you are a PC user. Then you will have to invest about 500$ bucks anyway for a small Mac machine.

(lets not talk about the test iOS and Android devices. If you take testing on mobile devices (especially Android) serious, you need quite some cash just for the hardware, which will dwarf any engine license cost... but again, you can get around that by... well... letting the users test it for you :) ).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement