Quests

Started by
22 comments, last by valrus 9 years, 7 months ago

I like the sound of Legend of Mana. I think it would be cool if there were many optional quests which can fulfil the requirements of the end-game. For example, to fight the big boss you need either a legendary weapon, a mighty army or mystical powers. To get a legendary weapon you need to research the legends that lead you to the weapon, travel long distances through dangerous lands, steal/fix/win the weapon, and strengthen yourself enough to use it. To get a mighty army you need to build charisma and inspire warriors with mighty deeds/beat them in battle/win their friendship. To get mystical powers you need to strengthen your mana, find masters to train you, collect artefacts/runes to strengthen your magic and test your magical strength against arcane enemies. Each of those steps could be broken down into a similar web of optional sub-quests, some of which would be common between the major three optional quests.

Advertisement

I like the sound of Legend of Mana. I think it would be cool if there were many optional quests which can fulfil the requirements of the end-game. For example, to fight the big boss you need either a legendary weapon, a mighty army or mystical powers. To get a legendary weapon you need to research the legends that lead you to the weapon, travel long distances through dangerous lands, steal/fix/win the weapon, and strengthen yourself enough to use it. To get a mighty army you need to build charisma and inspire warriors with mighty deeds/beat them in battle/win their friendship. To get mystical powers you need to strengthen your mana, find masters to train you, collect artefacts/runes to strengthen your magic and test your magical strength against arcane enemies. Each of those steps could be broken down into a similar web of optional sub-quests, some of which would be common between the major three optional quests.

This method I believe is one of the open ended ways that games like skyrim and oblivion and any of the like allow you to choose a path of your own making. It works for a lot of situations and I personally am throwing some form of this into my current projects, just on a smaller scale.

On another similar note, how does everyone feel about bounty quests that require you to explore and return to previous areas?

On another similar note, how does everyone feel about bounty quests that require you to explore and return to previous areas?

They're a valuable tool in your toolbox, because returning to a place you've been before lets you see how much more powerful/skillful you've become. (That monster that you used to have trouble with? Two hits now. That monster you had to flee every time? Entirely manageable.) BUT, change things up a bit. Make the area easier to traverse (with shortcuts, faster means of travel, etc.), drop the encounter rate with low-level baddies (the player should only be encountering them once or twice; it's an illustration of the player's increased power, not a game challenge), things like that. Bonus points if the changes to the area are due to the player's past actions (say, defeating the bandits meant that ranchers can use the area again, but now wolves have moved back in and are threatening the livestock.)

Basically, empowerment fantasy is at the heart of RPGs, and "formerly hard things are now easy" and "my actions made an impact on the world" are two important empowering feelings. Sending the player back to previous areas is a straightforward way to elicit both feelings, so long as you don't make it a slog.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement