New Coder Struggles - What To Do Next?

Started by
12 comments, last by Ovicior 9 years, 1 month ago

Hello,

I've recently embarked on a game-making adventure. I am creating my first real game and always seem to run into this issue: What to do next? I recently finished with my basic unit stats, and need guidance on what to do next and how to go about doing it. I'm using Monogame, and would expect that I should add maps next. Should I make a basic class for maps and use inheritance to customize it?

Honestly just need some guidance,

Ovicior

What will you make?
Advertisement

Should I make a basic class for maps and use inheritance to customize it?

Avoid inheritance until you *know* you need it.

What does a map need? That depends on the game you want to make.

2D games can have maps with tiles aligned to a grid (Mario Bros, Terraria, etc). They can have polygon-based maps (Gish, Reassembly, etc). They can have images where every pixel can be solid or not (Scorched Earth, Worms, etc). They can be simple layered images (every point-and-click adventure game ever). And anything else you can imagine is fair game as well.

3D games can have heightmap-based maps (most games with 'ground'), 3d meshes (most 3D games with caves, buildings, etc), or they can even be grid-aligned cubes like Minecraft.

What does YOUR game need? If you don't have a specific need yet, then my advice is to play around with the different approaches to get a feel for them, even if you don't end up using them. You'll gain experience this way.

You can:

1. Look at other people's projects, like on Github.

2. Write the game subsystems, like the audio, rendering, etc.

Harvest ideas from elsewhere. The reason why you are lost is because you have never written a game before, as I'm sure you know.

I read 2 questions :)
On "what to do next", I would:

- define your game with a (limited) set of features
- finish the game completely

- define a new game with other/ more features that beed stuff you want to learn more about
- finish fully and start again

That way you both keep learning and get games under your belt/ build up a portfolio

Crealysm game & engine development: http://www.crealysm.com

Looking for a passionate, disciplined and structured producer? PM me

I read 2 questions smile.png
On "what to do next", I would:

- define your game with a (limited) set of features
- finish the game completely

- define a new game with other/ more features that beed stuff you want to learn more about
- finish fully and start again

That way you both keep learning and get games under your belt/ build up a portfolio

That won't help because the game is not functional yet. The question I asked was what to do next in my current programming project. Meaning not "I finished coding a game" but "I need help finishing my first game"

What will you make?

You can:

Harvest ideas from elsewhere. The reason why you are lost is because you have never written a game before, as I'm sure you know.

Thanks, that's somewhat helpful. I don't really think I'd need to do much in the way of rendering though, considering I'm using Monogame and am not working from scratch. I also realized I have to create a GUI so that levels can be accessed and whatnot.

What will you make?
There is no rulebook about what to work on, what to work on depends entirely on the type of game you are making and to some degree, what it is you feel like working on.

For instance most games you would start with rendering, simply because it is pretty hard to have a game without seeing anything, then you might move to basic input handling so that you get the "skeleton" of the game going, allowing yourself the ability to control the game. From there it depends on what you want. Making an RTS? You could add in the resource system and the ability to place buildings on grids, or develop the control and movements of the units. You could also just do something simple like add background sound.

Generally the thing you want to think of most is, "what can I add next that will make this the closest to a playable, interesting game." the answer should reveal itself to you.

There is no rulebook about what to work on, what to work on depends entirely on the type of game you are making and to some degree, what it is you feel like working on.

For instance most games you would start with rendering, simply because it is pretty hard to have a game without seeing anything, then you might move to basic input handling so that you get the "skeleton" of the game going, allowing yourself the ability to control the game. From there it depends on what you want. Making an RTS? You could add in the resource system and the ability to place buildings on grids, or develop the control and movements of the units. You could also just do something simple like add background sound.

Generally the thing you want to think of most is, "what can I add next that will make this the closest to a playable, interesting game." the answer should reveal itself to you.

I believe now I will go on and make it so that when the program is run, the first basic map will show up. It will be a completely empty gray background with basic units put in. I think at that point my goal would be to allow the units to be controlled and sent to wherever is needed. But first I'd have to figure out input systems on Monogame. Thanks.

What will you make?

You can:

Thanks, that's somewhat helpful. I don't really think I'd need to do much in the way of rendering though, considering I'm using Monogame and am not working from scratch. I also realized I have to create a GUI so that levels can be accessed and whatnot.

No problem. I wasn't really being specific to Monogame really. Eventually, if you enjoy making games with Monogame you will want to break free and write your own everything - see this as a heads-up! :)

Clear. In that case I would define a set of features for your (current) game and slice them into feasible blocks. That way you can implement block by block, both having the pleasure of visible progress and working towards an end goal; your finished game with features xyz etc.

Crealysm game & engine development: http://www.crealysm.com

Looking for a passionate, disciplined and structured producer? PM me

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement