Care to share some words of wisdom/advice, come click this thread.

Started by
3 comments, last by lilgamedev 8 years, 10 months ago

I'm looking into game development.

I work around people who code all day, which led me to become interested.

My work is nothing remotely like being a game developer and my degree is as far from CS than Australia is to the US. I am just lucky to be surrounded by people who code, data architect, among other things.

I was looking into getting a masters in Software Engineering, I have no problems with that. However, I'm currently teaching myself Python, then will move on to C++, afterwards maybe Java; what I mean to do with this is place it on my resume. I know all these coding languages and hopefully this looks good to someone land an internship. Then work my way up through that channel. However, I'm sure I need a formal education or at least it is recommended. Would it be good to continue to learn these programs on my own, until I work my way into a masters in software engineering?

How is the job look for game development?

What are the hours like?

What is the pay like? I'd be good with $75k-$80k. I try to live a minimalist lifestyle lol.

What are the best companies to work for?

Thanks for your time and if all or some of these questions have been answered please point me to the appropriate thread! smile.png

Advertisement

Moved to the job section of the site. Each of those questions (and many others like them) are addressed in this forum's FAQs.

Happy reading.

1. How is the job look for game development?
2. What are the hours like?
3. What is the pay like? I'd be good with $75k-$80k. I try to live a minimalist lifestyle lol.
4. What are the best companies to work for?

1. It depends on a lot of factors. After you've read the FAQs, help us by focusing this question with more info about what kind of game job, where, and how prepared you are for it.
2. You can google "video game crunch" and get an eyeful.
3. You can google "video game industry salary survey" and find out.
4. The only companies you can work at are the ones within daily commuting distance of where you live (or where you move to). Use gamedevmap and gameindustrymap.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Tom already answered all the industry specific questions.

Would it be good to continue to learn these programs on my own, until I work my way into a masters in software engineering?

If you are enjoying learning this stuff then continue to do so. Even if you decided not to do the masters or even become a software developer it is still a useful skill to have and also a very fun and rewarding hobby. If you do decide to do the masters then hopefully your self taught programming skills will give you a head start.

Tom already answered all the industry specific questions.

Would it be good to continue to learn these programs on my own, until I work my way into a masters in software engineering?

If you are enjoying learning this stuff then continue to do so. Even if you decided not to do the masters or even become a software developer it is still a useful skill to have and also a very fun and rewarding hobby. If you do decide to do the masters then hopefully your self taught programming skills will give you a head start.

Yes, I think my only way to break in legitimately is with a degree in a related field. My BS is in History, therefore, I must get a MS degree in software engineering or the CS. The unfortunate part is that I lack the undergraduate courses to make me eligible. I'm wondering should I just learn the languages and try to net work or should I basically/ almost start all over.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement