one finger combat system mechanics

Started by
2 comments, last by Gabdab1 7 years, 11 months ago

What would a valid combat system implementation be like , given the user is using just one finger to play ?

Attack - defence turn based or else .

How to accomplish combos ?

Define temporal limits for fights ?

Advertisement

Depends a lot on the game, I'd try to narrow that down first. Do you want to make a turn based game, or an action game? I think that's probably the biggest, as a turn based game, most squaresoft rpgs are practically one handed, and could be done with one finger.

start with the game type , IE your idea or "vision" for what kind of game you want to make.

from that, a list of game features required should naturally come to you. - as in:

"well... it'll need this, and that, and the other thing - and the player will have to be able to do X,Y,Z, and W.".

then for those features, you come up with a game mechanic where your have the design restriction of "just one finger".

you can make the game mechanics as fancy as you want (IE realtime vs turn based combat) along as you can come up with a workable game mechanic for "just one finger".

lemme guess - touch screen app - right?

for some sort of at least semi-real time combat, a combo of swipes and taps might work.

surely there's been some research done on touch screen interfaces and what works well and what doesn't. white papers on that topic might point you to some pitfalls to avoid, and some mechanics to favor.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

-Do you want to make a turn based game, or an action game? -
I am sort of developing on the go .. so that by now I have a free style motorbike rider doing
freestyle stuff .. and battling mechs :P
-lemme guess - touch screen app - right?-
Yep . I am after an ads supported app , so Android basically.
-a combo of swipes and taps might work-
I included a stroke recognizer library , so for example as
you draw a circle or other geometric figures on touchpad they get recognized as commands .
I fear it might be not so obvious for players to handle though .
Googling one finger combat game this one pops out :
available on Steam also for desktops .

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement