How can I create custom avatars/sprites for my game?

Started by
1 comment, last by Gamael 7 years, 3 months ago
Hey guys I'm making an indie JavaScript 2d 'chibi' style platformer and I'm looking to create my own original characters. I'm having trouble finding good software that's free and easy to use. Can someone point me in the right directions.

I also am considering just drawing out individual pieces of the character (ex: one piece for the top of the arm and one piece for the bottom) so that instead of creating multiple sprites I can just rotate the pieces and put them together. Previously I was doing something similar in ms paint, but paint doesn't allow for rotating it in custom angles (only 90 degrees).

So any suggestions for my spritesheet.
I know there's simple online sprite creators, but honestly I think those look a little old fashion/like old games.
Looking to create something more like this:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ZmN6X5aqEX0/UEU883KMmbI/AAAAAAAAAE4/Ol4vtV4f94Y/s1600/baller-design-plus-sprites.jpg

Than this:
https://openclipart.org/image/2400px/svg_to_png/248259/Charactervector.png

Thanks everyone.
Advertisement

You can pretty much just google stuff and find a variety of pixel art editors. As for the rotations, most free items will only let you do limited rotation (for whatever reason). I've used Piskel before, and that one allows 45 degree rotation along with a host of other simple features. If you're willing to pay a bit of money, you can get Asesprite which is SUPER powerful and versatile.

willnationsdev - Godot Engine Contributor

You can pretty much just google stuff and find a variety of pixel art editors.

I think he's not trying to create pixel art.

You can try Inkscape. It's a free vector graphics editor. I'm not sure about the "easy to use" part, but it is not rocket science. You'll have to learn any new software you'll decide to use.

If you are rather drawing person (like hand drawing) you should take a look at Gimp. It's a free raster graphics editor. You can put your hand drawn art there and refine it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement