No longer getting +1 for voting up post

Started by
21 comments, last by Brain 7 years, 2 months ago

Anyone else having the same problem?

Just to provide a data point, I am not having the same problem.

Hello to all my stalkers.

Advertisement
It looks like jbadams is affected... He voted me up earlier today and the +3 shows on my feed but no +1 on his.

Sounds group specific...

GDNet+ max influence per day is 100 points, positive and negative (been thinking about increasing). Regular members have 20 max. We don't have a "setting" for reputation received, but it's possible this is capped somewhere else. I'll have to dig in to figure out why this behavior is happening, but nothing has changed in that regard so it's not really new behavior.

Admin for GameDev.net.

You are forgetting one of the basics of money economics (which may also apply here), - the more cheaply available something is , the more devalued and worthless it gets. Reps which is already suffering now gets hammered even more

just my 2cents

can't help being grumpy...

Just need to let some steam out, so my head doesn't explode...

I agree, there is inflation already. 3 to 5 upvotes per day should be enough for most people, as I highly doubt there are even that many threads with good postings to upvote, when you consider that if some posting already got some its not necessary for everyone to add their vote too just to get a point for themselves.

I agree, there is inflation already. 3 to 5 upvotes per day should be enough for most people, as I highly doubt there are even that many threads with good postings to upvote, when you consider that if some posting already got some its not necessary for everyone to add their vote too just to get a point for themselves.

This is subjective and dependent upon your idea of what makes a good post. When I first started here it was rare anyone ever got voted up for anything, ever, and I went over a year with the only upvotes being for logging in. I think it was harder to give them out back then, and it seemed only those who had been here longest were doing so.

I don't want to go back to that way of doing things as I think it isn't inclusive to newcomers.

The way it worked was flawed sure but ok. The problem though is, it's not been changed, officially or otherwise and is just broken for a small minority.

Any luck finding the problem yet?

That its bugged for you is certainly worth fixing. Also everyone including new people making the effort to give good answers to questions is worth upvoting.

So, I know there needs to be some incentive to give some upvotes, but it feels wrong that some people can make like 100 free points a day from upvoting random stuff, often inflating other peoples points in some opinion-threads while worthy postings answering questions often get no points.

Could there be a cap for the free points from upvoting much earlier than the allowed votes to reduce this, at about 10 for everyone maybe?

Still got this issue. Haven't been able to upvote properly for nearly a month now. Any luck finding the cause?

IIRC there was some rate limiting implemented for high rated users, e.g. Frob only receives +1 rating for up votes instead of +3, maybe voting up doesn't give rep anymore after some point? The rate limiting was added because of reputation having a limited range or large numbers not playing well with styling or something of that sort.

Any luck finding the cause?

I don't know the exact cause, but I did see a strange setup related to your conversion from Crossbones that might have affected it. I changed everything to have the expected settings. Let me know if it works.

Admin for GameDev.net.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement