Cost of Game Making

Started by
54 comments, last by Tom Sloper 6 years, 10 months ago

Ignore their asking goal. Most of the time these days that has no real relation to the actual cost of making the game. We don't know how much money they have put aside from other sources, how much they are paying themselves, or whether the estimate is remotely realistic.

They claim to have taken 5 months to get as far as they have, with 5 people. You don't have the funds to cover that much development.

Advertisement

Ignore their asking goal. Most of the time these days that has no real relation to the actual cost of making the game. We don't know how much money they have put aside from other sources, how much they are paying themselves, or whether the estimate is remotely realistic.

They claim to have taken 5 months to get as far as they have, with 5 people. You don't have the funds to cover that much development.

That's all very true, but it's at least still something to help me keep hope alive.

Always worth keeping your hope alive, and always worth asking around some game devs / freelancers as to how much they would charge to build / implement certain things to get a more accurate price.

If you can get your game idea segmented enough, you can get a rough idea of how much each "component" roughly adds to the cost of development.

for example if you know you wanted to implement a weapon combination / customization you can get a gauge talking to a developer as to how much that component to the game would add time wise to implement so then get a rough cost and weigh up if your budget is strict what areas would need to be cut / could be cut.

Though, with a team of 5 like the kickstarter game has, working 5 months to get where they are, even at a very low yearly salary of 20k that is still about 60k costing on salaries if you were hiring a development team at entry level guys

I'd like to know what the cost would be to make an indie rpg video game with the graphical level not surpassing anything made on PlayStation 1.

Any answer anyone gives you based on the information provided is, at most, an uneducated guess with regards to how much your game may cost. You have one business requirement so far for your game - "Graphical Level Not Surpassing Anything Made on PS1" - and even that is a poor description of a business requirement.

My suggestion would be to look into writing a Business Requirements Specification (BRS) document. You can find many examples online. The take away from this exercise is to determine exactly WHAT you want to create and WHY - The HOW you create it doesn't matter at this point. This should help you identify the Project Scope, Features of the software, why your software is different from competitors, who your Stake Holders are, and what Risks are involved with making such software.

Once you figure out WHAT you want to create and with what features, then you can determine HOW you're going to create it - and only then are you going to be able to put an estimated price tag on development costs.

I'd like to know what the cost would be to make an indie rpg video game with the graphical level not surpassing anything made on PlayStation 1.

Any answer anyone gives you based on the information provided is, at most, an uneducated guess with regards to how much your game may cost. You have one business requirement so far for your game - "Graphical Level Not Surpassing Anything Made on PS1" - and even that is a poor description of a business requirement.

My suggestion would be to look into writing a Business Specification Requirements (BRS) document. You can find many examples online. The take away from this exercise is to determine exactly WHAT you want to create and WHY - The HOW you create it doesn't matter at this point. This should help you identify the Project Scope, Features of the software, why your software is different from competitors, who your Stake Holders are, and what Risks are involved with making such software.
Once you figure out WHAT you want to create and with what features, then you can determine HOW you're going to create it - and only then are you going to be able to put an estimated price tag on development costs.

This is actually extremely helpful and insightful. Thanks for dropping some knowledge. I knew as I was creating the list that I was being extremely vague, but that's because of my lack of knowledge on how game creation works outside of the rpg maker program. Using that system is fairly easy; you hire a coder, someone to create maps, and an artist and you've got yourself all the necessary people. This is a different realm for me, but it's the route that I want to take.

Thanks again for your insight an I will definitely be looking up and creating a BRS

This is actually extremely helpful and insightful. Thanks for dropping some knowledge. I knew as I was creating the list that I was being extremely vague, but that's because of my lack of knowledge on how game creation works outside of the rpg maker program. Using that system is fairly easy; you hire a coder, someone to create maps, and an artist and you've got yourself all the necessary people. This is a different realm for me, but it's the route that I want to take.

Thanks again for your insight an I will definitely be looking up and creating a BRS

The important thing to remember is the BRS explains WHAT you're trying to do and WHY you're trying to do it. You don't need to know the how yet, because you don't exactly know what you're trying to build and what problem you're trying to solve.

Once you have the BRS completed, this should nicely be summarized into a Project Pitch - this pitch can be used to acquire resources and money, if there's interested parties of the pitch.

The how you go about implementing it will only come after you truly know what you're trying to work to accomplish.

From the Project Pitch, you can begin doing a technology stack discovery, understanding what resources/people you need to hire and when. - From here, you can begin to finally see what financial forecasts you're looking at.

The important thing to remember is the BRS explains WHAT you're trying to do and WHY you're trying to do it. You don't need to know the how yet, because you don't exactly know what you're trying to build and what problem you're trying to solve.
Once you have the BRS completed, this should nicely be summarized into a Project Pitch - this pitch can be used to acquire resources and money, if there's interested parties of the pitch.
The how you go about implementing it will only come after you truly know what you're trying to work to accomplish.
From the Project Pitch, you can begin doing a technology stack discovery, understanding what resources/people you need to hire and when. - From here, you can begin to finally see what financial forecasts you're looking at.

Do you have your BRS created? If so, how long did it take you to create and would you post it for reference?

A RPG is a genre where the development is "harder". If you want to "put all the pieces on the exact point you want" it could be a nightmare. I would love to do a RPG project on future but for now me an my Indie Team are focussed on smaller and easier projects to do.

Also, one question. Do you have experience to lead a project ? On team management ?

This are key points, not only the money factor exists on Gamedev.

Thanks.

Back in the day I ran a small team for an rpg maker project, but we didn't finish the game so I hardly think that counts. As far as real life actual management I was a supervisor for 2 years at a retail store.. not sure if there's any relation, but I'm confident that I'll be able to set goals and see the project through.

Good to hear.

Good luck !

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement