RPG Games For Girls!!!

Started by
89 comments, last by digitaldirt 22 years, 4 months ago
Interesting idea..the female audiance is largely untapped...ignored even...I imagine that if the right game came along, it could be a big hit.

To attact female players you would have to really explore what they are interested in...from just a surface level examination females seem to be driven by ''creativity''...from clothing, style, to makeing craft art...so a game (in typical guy fashion) that is basied around destructive actions (combat, etc..) isn''t going to win them over (or it would have already )

my little "UFO Powered" RPG idea (described in another thread) would be unusual enough to maybe intrest some female players...altho the anime cliches it parodies may not be thier cup of tea (nor most peoples)...it never hurts to at least try new game development angles...

It''s been said that the social aspects of MMORPGs have drawn female players...but there is another game out (single player) that has a large percentage of female players...the Sims...

In anycase a RPG for female players likely wouldn''t be something many guys would find interesting (even fun)...not just from the game setting (mideveil, futureistic, etc..) but because such a game really wouldn''t be basied on the same RPG cliche gameplay ideas as combat, magic, etc...
Advertisement
I dont think that you have to design your game specifically for "girls". Actually I find the "games for girls" (horsies and pink stuff) idea pretty sexist to start with.

If you want to get at the female audience you have to look at what they like to play, and there´s lots of games which are being played by girls (and I´m not talking about Barbies little Dress-Up).
And I don´t think that its so much about characters. Women have no problem with male characters and vice versa (Larry Laffer and Lara Croft for example). I believe that it is more about the underlying game elements.

1) From my experience most of the games which enjoy a large female audience would be categorised as casual games. Games which you can play for twenty minutes, have some fun with, then put away. Puzzle Games, Card games, but also full price retail titles.

2) Games which have a strong "building/creating/influencing" component. This encompasses classical building games such as SimCity, Pharao and Settlers, with more emphasis on those where you can actually see people (Pharao and Settlers). This component is also found in hits like Diablo, which has a simple principle, is easy to learn and the typical casual game AND gives you the option of customising/influencing your players character.

3) Story and Puzzles. From what I´ve seen so far the old adventure games are very popular with the female audience, mostly so when enjoyed with others. Guys tend to sit down and play adventures alone, at least more so than women. So it could be possible to gear an adventure game to the idea of more than one player playing the game (I´m not talking about radical new things, just keeping in mind that there will probably be more than one person playing usually helps enough).

There are of course a lot of other factors which make games attractive for the female audience, but if one takes a closer look one sees that these features are not just for "games for girls", but can easily fit a general audience as well.
So the point for the future will probably not be making games for girls, but to stop making games exclusively for boys.

You can either leave all your raygun/bikini stuff in, I doubt that female players would mind that so much, as long as you have features that are not exclusively enjoyable by the male players. Alternatively you can take all the gender-specific items out of your game to make it fit everyone.
Hase,

>>future will probably not be making games for girls,
>>but to stop making games exclusively for boys.

That is my point exactly. eye to eye all the way!
off topic:

Welcome Back

-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
Sorry no comment yet on the subject, but...WB MadKeithV!!!
Game for ladies ?

1)using the "female" pride.

"NEW GAME, IS THE GAME MADE ONLY FOR MEN, THE WOMEN CAN''T UNDERSTAND THIS GAME!".

2)Childish games.

Puzzle Bobble for example.

3)The game that spend more time the friends, boyfriends and brothers.

In my case, my little sisters play :
unreal tournament, starcraft, kof95,96,97,98,99 (fans to kyo kusanagi), puzzle games, windows-solitaire, fifa2000, and more.

The woman''s brain is really complex
-----------------------------------------------"Cuando se es peon, la unica salida es la revolución"
quote:Original post by Bunnz
Unfortunately this market is very very small!

A common misperception. Statistics indicate that about 51% of the purchasing population are women, though they tend to buy the games for husbands, sons or boyfriends. If you were to make a game that had appeal to them as well, they might pick up a copy for the self (or at least share in the gaming).

Lots of women play games; they just happen to stick to games that interest them like Solitaire.

Welcome back, MadKeithV!
Actually right now I am working on a small mini project with SDL and C++ about this:

During a time when dinosaurs exist, a small group of humans are forced to live underground in fear. Their leader is called "The Elder One." He is said to have lived for almost 225 years, which is what is thought to be the dawn of time. He is the only human who is really respected by other humans.

At one point, The Elder One has a dream of you, a 14 year old girl, killing the dinosaurs and bringing human life to the surface. Of course, you highly doubt you can do it, and there will be tons of emotional garbage like your father attempts to murder The Elder One to bring you back under ground, etc.

Basically, the game is on a guy and girl level but the main character is a girl. Of course, the chance of this game being publish is just about zero. . It is a 2D game.

Right now, the game is not much. But after I put some enemies in and do make the abilities I shouldn''t have much of a problem finishing it.

As for female RPGs, I say why not. I don''t know many girls who play video games, but that is because I live in New Jersey, and the girls around here spend more than 14 hours a day on making themselves look like the girls on the Jay Rule video or whatever the hell that dumb-shits name is.

I think I would still play the game. I played Resident Evil 2, and I only played the girls disk(her story was more interesting). If you mean girl ideas, then I still say why not. Maybe girls will start playing video games more often. Awsome!
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
Games that interest them, huh?

My girlfriend must be kinda odd...her favorite game is DOOM.

Hrm...maybe I SHOULD have been afraid when she held a BIG kitchen knife up to my nose the first time I visited her place.
Girls and games, hm. I know one or two girls who are big Sid Meier fans, but the whole turn-based empire-building genre is pretty non-gender-specific. One girl I knew played a lot of FF7 and FF8...

In my experience, the girls I know are not very good at the games I play: 2D platformers, FPSs, RPGs and martial arts games. Of these, three require very quick reaction time and fine motor control. I think games aren''t made for girls because girls can''t play the usual games well, so they don''t play them, so they don''t buy them. Meanwhile, games that girls can be good at and which might appeal to girls lose financially, because girls don''t buy games, so they don''t buy those games, and guys won''t buy games built for everyone over games built for them. Curse me to my grave, but I do like my fan service...

I suppose it''s sort of a vicious cycle isn''t it? Of course, I could be wrong.

And although I don''t believe I know you, because everyone else is saying it, welcome back MadKeithV.

---------------------------------------------------
-SpittingTrashcan

You can''t have "civilization" without "civil".
----------------------------------------------------SpittingTrashcanYou can't have "civilization" without "civil".

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement