will java become the next big language?

Started by
145 comments, last by the_nemesis 22 years, 1 month ago
quote:Original post by HenryApe
*keeps mouth shut and hopes that Sun and Sony will answer the original question by showing their Java3D racer running basicly unmodified on both PC and PS2 at GDC or JavaOne this year*

...hey, one can always hope

Hmf - now you shut up?

--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
Advertisement
As some people have already pointed out, languages that reduce development time wins out in the end. Of course, it never starts with games because they are pretty time critical applications, but in the end even game programmers change to higher level languages(they went from asm to C and are now moving from C to C++).

Java reduces development time because it gives you less freedom to commit stupid mistakes(messing up with pointers, reading/writing out of bounds, and forgetting to clean up your memory). Memory management is completely taken care of, pointers are hidden behind references, and you get an easily traceable message if you try to access an array out of bounds.

And to all those people who says that C++ can do this too: So what! Why keep reinventing the wheel, when the features you need are right there in Java?
Of course, maybe C# will kick Java off the market(who wins will probably be a matter of public relations expenditure), but the trend is still moving towards ever higher level languages.
(Btw, in Visual Studio .NET the docs keeps refering to converting "legacy" c++ apps to managed C++ / C#. )

But dont worry, C++ has plenty of life left in it, but id bet that in 5-10 years people will be posting messages like "do you still need to learn C++ to make games?", exactly like they are posting "do you still need to learn ASM to make games?" today

As to Java being slow, its just utter bullocks, the SWING components(the GUI-stuff to the uninitiated) are VERY slow that is true, but you dont need them for games. Alot of people seems to thinks this also indicates that Java programs are generally slow.
Hehe ok, so I won't entirely shut up. The move towards games based on hardware accellerated 3D graphics clearly favours languages like Java and C# as such applications tend to spend most of their time in calls to hardware drivers. There has been some discussion in the forums over at javagaming.org over preliminary performance test results from a comparison between basic OpenGL apps written in Java and C++. The tests apparently show that the difference in performance between basic 3D apps written in Java and C++ is <1% because any performance difference that exists in culling code etc. is eaten up by the much longer rendering times. The tests will be part of a longer report by Jacob Marner (who at least used to frequent these forums) on whether/how Java can be used for games, but apparently the report is not finished yet.

Anyway, I think the real breakthrough for Java in gaming will come when Sun and Sony make Java's "Write Once, Run Anywhere"-motto include the PS2. Sony is feeling the heat from the Xbox and there are several gaming initiatives for Java underway (Sony is on the expert group for Sun's Java gaming profile etc.). Some of these will be presented at GDC and JavaOne this year, but I don't know if they will have their Java3D racer running on both the PC and PS2 this year.... hoping hoping.

Edited by - HenryApe on February 25, 2002 5:44:19 PM
First of all, Java has not been out for a long time. It is going very strong. It does not have pointers for good security reasons as it is a very popular language for web based things. Furthermore, the loss of pointers is not actually a loss because all objects in java are essentially pointed to by their variable names, which makes for pretty memory efficient programs. Obviously, it has weaknesses in games because it is not designed for such programs. However, computers are a lot faster than many people think and it is possible to implement pretty complex 3d engines that render at decent rates for an applet. I also maintain that it is one of the best languages to start learning game programming with because it avoids confusion with pointers, allows for fast to program graphics implementations, and has an intuitive gui system.

I don''t know why all that ...

I code in Assembly, C/C++ and in JAVA.

And I don''t get the point, when people talk about
the one thing will be replacing the other thing and so on
even if they could exist all togehter.

It most often is the ignorance and the fear about the things
they don''t know that speaks out of people
when talking about those things.

They say what about Assembly, what the fuck is that !?
I don''t care, I code in C++ ( or C or PASCAL or JAVA ... ).

But everything boils down to binary coded processor instructions,
and that''s one thing Assembly is all about ...
OK, you don''t code binary you use of course fancy mnemonics
to be written in a readable text file manner.

I think its better to let ''em all be around,
and then choose dependent on the target you''re after.

If you don''t do accept other programming languages,
then there is no choice for you

And the speed matters are also,
somehow target dependent ( I even somewhere read about an
JAVA-processor, if I remember right ).

I would give you the advice to give JAVA a try.
And if you don''t like it, you don''t like it,
but how will you know if you never tried it ( ?!? ).
quote:Original post by Arild Fines
All Turing-complete languages are equal in that respect - you can do anything in any language. Even Intercal.

This does not include being able to use hardware. That''s why some languages just aren''t as powerful as others.

quote:Original post by Arild Fines
All Turing-complete languages are equal in that respect - you can do anything in any language. Even Intercal.

This does not include being able to use hardware. That''s why some languages just aren''t as powerful as others.

HA! We''ll be lucky to program in any language in the near future! AI will soon take over. We almost have the capability to create an AI operating system which could eliminate loads of jobs. People already have this technology, all they have to do is hone it, and make it commercial. This wont do much to gaming jobs i suppose, but it makes me want to change my major! Or maybe im just crazy.

about c++ and java, beats me which one will win. if c++ adds more standardized datastructures, ''higher level'' functions, etc... (if that makes sense to you) development time will decrease. ive never done java, but i know that some things are really hard to program in VB, but simple in c++. Use mfc, and VB doesn''t have much of an edge. So i assume c++ will remain in the race one way or another.

final conclusion: I''m a dumbass and dont know what im talking about!
quote:
Now I believe Java (and VB) will replace C++ as the main stream language but that’s in about 5 years time

Java has already displaced C++ in many acedemic circles as the language of choice. In many ways its easier and safer for beginning students to learn. I''m sure it will expand its market share and fill a niche (especially browser applets), just like VB has in business apps. I doubt seriously that it is going to displace C++ for writing most apps as long as everyone keeps using windows (or .net if microsoft has its way). Maybe the future lies with C# or some new iteration of C++, or something yet to be invented, but I seriously doubt its going to be java.
quote:Original post by yellowjon
Obviously, it has weaknesses in games because it is not designed for such programs.

C++ is not designed to be a "game language" either... C++ is a general purpose language with compilers efficient enough so that it can be used in game development.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement