graphics programming and theory book for Beginners

Started by
10 comments, last by nazmie 24 years, 1 month ago
can any one tell me which book should i read/buy..... i absolutely new at this..
Advertisement
uh, not so great of a question but..
if you are looking to learn c++ check out Beginning Visual C++ 5.0 or 6.0. the publisher is Wrox (www.wrox.com). i think most any book store or computer show will have them. there are lots of other good books too but that''s the one i used a long long time ago.
..course you will need visual studio

i''m assuming that you don''t know any language yet cause that''s what it sounds like

you could also check out a vanilla c/c++ book which is meant for any compiler.
-werdup-
Depends how much theory u want..

There are pretty good tutorials on graphics programming here and at www.flipcode.com

If u are looking for something more serious, look at

freespace.virgin.net/hugo.elias/
www.darwin3d.com/gamedev.htm

One good theory book is "Advanced Animation and Rendering Techniques" by Alan Watt and Mark Watt.
I recommend a book called 'Computer Graphics: Mathematical first steps'. It doesn't deal with programming as such but has a lot of easy to understand information (and exercises) on vectors, matrices, perspective, projection etc.. which you can apply to graphics programming.

Lots of the tutorials about rely on your knowledge of this basic maths so it is definitely worth learning.

Paulcoz.

Edited by - paulcoz on 2/25/00 2:47:20 AM
For theory I like "Computer Graphics: C Version" by Hearn and Baker. ISBN 0-13-530924-7. Good coverage of the basics behind every major concept in computer graphics, from drawing lines to bevier curves and ray tracing.
Kind of a open ended question. If your looking for basic books on programming languages (C++, VB), try going to www.informit.com. they have a large variety of programming books free to read on the site.
soo i must learn theory first
i already know c programming
but nothing about opengl or graphics programming
what book should i read
no, you don''t have to learn theory first. Most books cover the theory as you go along the API. I recommend starting in 2D before going to a 3D graphics API. Specifically the DirectX API. My 2 favorite books for DX are ''Teach Yourself DirectX in 24 hours'' and ''inside directX'' Also look at the sdk samples. That should keep you busy for awhile.

ECKILLER
ECKILLER
quote:Original post by nazmie
soo i must learn theory first
i already know c programming
but nothing about opengl or graphics programming
what book should i read

The way I understood your original question, I thought you *wanted* to learn theory first. Well the book I recommended has a GL supplement online, that gives source on how to do most of it''s functionality in GL code. But if you just want to learn GL, I recommend just browsing through NeHe''s tutorials, which you can get to off of the gamedev.net main page. Much better stuff than how *I* learned it.
its ok to get your feet wet without learning alot of theory get The OpenGL Programming Guide -and get coding

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement