Console VS PC hardware.

Started by
15 comments, last by The C modest god 22 years ago
It seem to me that console or some PC architectures different then the common PC architcutre (I don''t know how it is called the one with intel, amd processors and PCI slots and stuff like that), have a much better I/O reaction and a much more steady FPS. I don''t know about todays consoles, but in older consoles the game''s FPS was always steady and extremly high. Everything seems to respond a lot more faster and smoother. I think that the common PC archtecture sucks, it''s components don''t interact very well with each other. I would like to hear opinions about it.
It's all about the wheel.Never blindly trust technoligy.I love my internal organs.Real men don't shower.Quote:Original post by Toolmaker Quote:Original post by The C modest godHow is my improoved signature?It sucks, just like you.
Advertisement
In a console you have one maker, one CPU, etc, etc. Everything is made to work with games, and games only. They ussually have a unified memory system (since RAM sizes won''t vary in system memory, or video memory, everything is static). All these things make it easy for developers to target. They make it run good for that console, and that console only.. if it runs good, it will run good on ALL of them. On a PC, everything varies... different types of hard-drives, cd-rom drives, keyboards, mice, video cards, sound cards, CPU''s, etc, etc. All this contributes to making programming for ALL PC''s hard. If I picked a single computer setup and programmed a game to run great on it... it would most likely run like crap on other machines (slower ones) and possibly to fast on faster machines. Other machines with different graphics cards, less memory wouldn''t even be able to run it, etc. The fact that a PC can and is made up of an LOT of different parts makes programming very hard for it. A console is a much more controlled environment, so while you''re playing a game on a PC at 15FPS, the developer may have been playing it at 60FPS, which would mean, he did a good job for his target platform, but not necessarily for your platform. In the console market, it either works or it doesn''t (and if it doesn''t, you won''t be able to sell it).

Billy - BillyB@mrsnj.com
Moved.

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM [MSDN] | SGI STL Docs | Google! | Asking Smart Questions ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!
I don''t think it''s becuase it''s harder for game developers to develope a certain FPS game on all the PCs. Let''s say you developed a fast simple 2D game for the PCs. I think it would still won''t be as steady and the reactions between all the I/O won''t be as fast as in a console system.
In PC the FPS doesn''t seam to be steady even when it''s fast, and the I/O doesn''t seam to have the split second reaction like in consoles.
It's all about the wheel.Never blindly trust technoligy.I love my internal organs.Real men don't shower.Quote:Original post by Toolmaker Quote:Original post by The C modest godHow is my improoved signature?It sucks, just like you.
The basic architecture is the same, you''ve got a CPU, RAM, storage device (usually a CD-ROM/DVD on consoles these days, and a hard disk on PCs), GPU, etc all connected via a bus.

One reason for unsteady frame rates on a PC is that the game isn''t the only thing running on the hardware. You''ve at least got the OS underneath, and usually you''ve also got MSN, ICQ, outlook, explorer, etc all running as well, taking cylces away from your game.

I''m the first to admit that the intel architecture is in serious need of an overhaul, but it''s not that bad.

codeka.com - Just click it.
I think another reason is because it is intened by the industry that you will never get your perfect performance from you OS and hardware. The computers are getting more and more faster, but the OS are becoming more resource consuming.
It is stuiped that you never get best performance for a single program you run in winOS, just because there are all kind of other programs running which you don''t use during the game.
They could have done it in a way that single software will run effitiently ad that you could also have multitasking. But they just don''t want to do it, because then they will have to make a lot more effort in their next OS so you will have a good reason to buy it.

BILL GATES MUST DIE!
That''s just senseless microsoft bashing. They give us a great operating system, an easy-to-use, industry-supported API, and you say it''s not enough!

codeka.com - Just click it.
Agreed,

Some people *WANT* to multitask whilst playing a game - say I was downloading a 100Mb file and I was bored waiting for the download to finish, it''s quite feasible that I might want to play a game while I wait (provided the game is properly written so it multitasks properly...).

Furthermore if the *user* is concerned about a virus killer running in the background interfering with their gameplay they can turn it off. Apart from user chosen things (virus scanners, Word/Windows indexing etc), the other things in the system usually don''t interfere too much since their threads are either sleeping or on a low priority.

I''ve developed commercially sold PC games (i.e. I''m "industry"), and I can assure you 100% there isn''t some conspiracy between us and Microsoft to create slow/glitchy games on the PC.

The biggest problems with the PC are it''s backwards compatibility (e.g. the x86 CPU arch. from a programming perspective is nasty compared to recent advancements), badly written programs (DLL conflicts when installing, machine crashes due to missing DLLs after uninstalling, people using obsolete functions and assuming return values etc) and the fact that it''s really 10000 different platforms rather than 1 due to differing hardware and software configs.

With console hardware there''s at most 3 configurations of hardware - we can develop on all of those 3 and during development keep an eye on the framerate at every stage - thus the end result is rock solid VSYNC''d framerate on the console (some games excepted ). On the PC it probably runs smoothly and at a solid frame rate *on the developers PC*, but won''t on many others.

FWIW MS have stated to developers (at conferences like Meltdown) that increasingly they want the games playing experience on the PC to be like that of a console.

--
Simon O''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
They ussually have a unified memory system (since RAM sizes won''t vary in system memory, or video memory, everything is static).

Minor quibble:

A unified memory system , with regards to game systems and consoles, usually refers to the architectures present in the XBox. There is one memory area (disregarding caches/registers) that is shared between CPU/bus/video/audio/everything.

When RAM sizes are static, i.e. they don''t change, that''s usually called static or fixed ; probably some other names as well, but definitely not unified.

Only reason I bring something like this up is because with an XBox you have fixed, unified memory system. But with a PS2, while the memory size is fixed, it is far from unified (32mb here, 4mb there, another 2mb over there...). It''s an important difference, because it indicates that data movement is going to be much more significant in the design of a PS2 engine over an XBox engine. (Not bad either way, just significantly different.)

---- --- -- -
Blue programmer needs food badly. Blue programmer is about to die!
The gents at ArsTechnica have written a few articles on this kind of thing:

http://arstechnica.com/cpu/index.html

Helpful links:
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way | Google can help with your question | Search MSDN for help with standard C or Windows functions

[edited by - siaspete on April 12, 2002 1:04:27 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement