LackLounge's Research Forum

Started by
4 comments, last by Tom Sloper 3 months, 1 week ago

Lately I've been working on a physical game that revolves around 2 players & 2 goals. I tested it in a classroom with a friend of mine and instantly realized how rough-handed the game is. I had hypothesized already on the configurations or as I called them ‘maps’ that the players and goals would be set out; funnily enough, all of them led to different ways that the rounds of the game would begin.

I haven't said shit about how the game is at a rule-wise level so, here ya go:

The goal of the game : Carry the opposing player/s to their goal, and force them to touch it.
Completing this goal, gains you a point.

Players are encouraged to move, push, tug, and pull each other to get them to touch their own goal.
Goals are originally meant to stay in place. Unless the players employ the Goal Carrying game mode.

I implemented 4 total ways to play the game, technically able to be mixed and matched by the players as house rules.

1. Normal : Both teams of players can use their hands and feet. They cannot move their goal.
  2. Goal Carrying : Both teams of players are allowed to carry their opponent's goal. This allows the team opposite to yours, to hold your goal, throw and move your goal to wherever they see fit. Of course this lasts until you are touched by your goal or you touch the other player with their own goal.
  3. Dominant Hand : Both teams of players must only use their dominant hand when playing. Basically sticking out their dominant hand while maintaining their opposite hand unoccupied and unused.
  4. Loose Hand : Both teams of players must use their non-dominant hand only. You know what this means, awesomely goofy actions.

I have to go back to my next class I'll continue on what I've done with this game to expand player options and letting them create possibility spaces for them to play and experiment depending where they want their goals to be and themselves to start.

I lack a lounge.

Advertisement

Why did you title your post (describing your student project game) “LackLounge's Research Forum”? There's nothing in your post about a forum you created anywhere…

What were you aiming to accomplish by posting about your student project game? Did your professor assign you to post on a forum like ours?

And what type of lounge are you lacking? Mysteriously, it seems to be the crux of your online identity.

Your post raises more questions than it answers…

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I did just jump in, it's understandable if you see that as a bad move. However, this isn't a student project as much as it is a passion project, but I'm calling it a game. Tbh I don't even know about the name of the post either, I mean, I read forums so I thought ‘Sure let’s make my own'. I'm very new to this :D

I might instead move this to a blog of sorts to separate myself from the forums if what I've made rn doesn't really don't fit what they're for. For now… I'll talk about quickly about the ‘maps’ stuff I was talking about. Hopefully the key I made at the top left of the picture should explain enough the drawings.

Also for real, the main reason I just jumped in was finding out about forums in general, and I searched for my interests and I found that there was this game development forum that fit that, so I landed! I'm an aspiring game designer, most specifically for videogames and my own high school that I'm in doesn't have any real game development clubs[Or classes for that matter lmao]. I'm working with scraps here but I don't mind making a robot dummy that can say at least ‘hello’. This game in particular that I'm showcasing was just an idea that popped out in writing game development notes out of this book called ‘Theory of fun’ by Raph Koster. So I wrote it down, kept writing notes, and eventually I felt like expanding what the game was. I've arrived at this point that I made this [Ooh, finally I show the picture.]

Finally for that last question, I lack a lounge for ideas and creativity, so I'm making one for myself.

This picture was taken from my phone looking at this one page in my Game Design journal.
Arrows represent the direction that the players are/should be/ looking.
Big circles are the goals, dots are the players.

I lack a lounge.

I literally forgot to include that the symbols for the game modes [Well, here there's only two so I can still say plural] are :

Normal [Star]

And Goal Carrying [Flag]

I haven't come up with maps that take advantage of the goofier game modes: The dominant or non-dominant hands.
I believe this is good enough for now. I like what it's gotten to make me think about in regards of game design.

I lack a lounge.

Welcome to our forums, Lacklounge. Since you were not familiar with online forum terms, what you started was not a “forum.” You posted in our forum, and your “post” has now become a “thread” since there have been replies. Also, since you're new at this, I recommend you read our site guidelines and read about forum etiquette so you don't do anything wrong.

You're welcome to share your ideas with us, but what purpose do you hope to achieve? If you're just documenting your progress, then yes, a blog might be the way to go. (Note that we don't do daily blogging here - a daily blog would hog the Blogs board, pushing the weekly blogs completely off the page.) If you're looking for feedback on your posts, the forums are the right place. Of course, you can get feedback from both blogs and forum posts, but for the best feedback, you should specify one or more questions in your post. Good luck, and have fun.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement