What inspired you to learn how to program?

Started by
39 comments, last by Tiso 23 years, 10 months ago
What gave you the idea to start programming? Why did you stick with it? What do you like most about it? I''ve been wanting to make games since I first got my hands on a controller (3 or 4). After hours of playing games I thought: "Hey, I wish I could do that." And now I am! I stuck with it because I enjoyed making rink a dink I/O programs. I like the fact that someday, when I know enough about programming, I''ll be able to make some neato worlds. ............ Guardian Angel Interactive
Advertisement
The sad truth is when I was in the underground against AOL I wanted to make an AOL Proggy. I started to study VB but never made one cause I lost interest to fast. Then I stopped for a while about programming then I got into game programming. I haven't made made anything useful but I managed to make a program that got me an A on my book report .

Edited by - ARCHIGAMER on July 11, 2000 9:02:10 AM
I wish there was a button on my monitor to turn up the intellegince. Theres a button called 'brightness' but it doesn't work
I took a fortran class and it was a lot more fun than my engineering classes (that and I didn''t suck so bad at fortran) so I switched majors.
Mr Bill Gates the rich man inspired me to get into programming. When I was younger and microsoft bashing is not as popular as now, the success story of Bill Gates makes me admired him and so motivate me to program.
I really dont know , I dont even know the exact point when I started programming . One point I was typing code form those ZX spectrum game magazines , the next moment I was modifying little things , and the next thing I knew , I was doing everything from scratch. I had no idea I was programming until my high school teacher told me

There are only four types of men , RichMan , PoorMan , BeggarMan , Thief........
I was influenced by the Ghetto you ruined.
I wanted to make a ad&d game... however... now I just want to make FGElements type demos it appears.
"If you build it, it will crash."
Duke3D, specifically the BUILD editor. I got so good at making maps (from a technical standpoint), that I wanted to make "more than just maps."

The first real program I made was a Duke3D launcher in VB. It had a bunch of checkboxes and so on to avoid having to type in tedious arguments in DOS. I also added a feature that renamed demos (remember demo1.dmo ?), and one that could extract files from duke3d.grp. Oooooooh, I was quite the intrepid programmer back then.
i had a ZX81 computer as a kid. It was kinda cool, but i got into games coding MANY years later after playing Quake 2 for the first time, and seriously aftre buying the first gurus book by Andre La Mothe.

http://www.positech.co.uk
All these stories are fairly interesting....I hope we get more!

Guardian Angel Interactive
what made me start programming?
i really dont remember, perhaps the fact that i was bored or somfin, but that was long ago
then i slowly went outta my mind as i kept getting more addicted to programming (as you see now, i''m totally outta my mind)

----------------
- Pouya / FOO!!!
***CENSORED***

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement