One Week/One Button 2 Winners: Trapper Zoid and scgrn

Started by
587 comments, last by d000hg 18 years, 5 months ago
Hmm, sounds like a fun challenge, count me in [grin] I need that Radeon [wink]
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Ravuya
Quote:Original post by Extrarius
Since Visual Studio 2005 just came out with .Net 2.0, you should probably add it to the list of allowed requirements.

Is it in Windows update? If so, I'll install it on my testbed when I get home.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/downloads/updates/default.aspx#.NET Framework 2.0 Beta SDK and Redistributable
This space for rent.
3. I am going to announce a one-word theme that your game must contain 1h before the contest begins (to give you time to draft a design).

Does the design have to be submitted ahead of time or something?

Sounds great. Count me in [smile]

[Edited by - MonkeyInBlack on November 9, 2005 5:30:50 PM]
3. I am going to announce a one-word theme that your game must contain 1h before the contest begins (to give you time to draft a design).

Couldn't someone start making the game but leave room for the theme word?
This sounds like an interesting challenge (although I'm not sure if my programming skills are up to scratch at the moment to compete).

If I read the rules correctly, the player is only allowed one button (such as the space bar) to control the game; no direction keys etc.? Is that one button in total, or one button per player (so if you wanted to implement multiplayer, each player could have their own button?)

Again with buttons - is the one button requirement flexible, that is as long as it remains a game that is played with his just button [per player], it is ok. For example is it ok to use standard controls for things like a title menu, graphics setup, multiplayer connection/chat. Also, you said no mouse/joystick, but is it alright to allow the game to use a mouse/joystick button (for example if you want one machine multiplayer - it would be easier if one person uses a button on the keyboard, and the other uses a mouse button)
I have the same question as Michalson, because I would like for my players to be able to type their name in for score tracking.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Quote:Does the design have to be submitted ahead of time or something?

No, but I figured I'd give you some time to brainstorm.

Quote:Couldn't someone start making the game but leave room for the theme word?

It's sort of hard to start making a game without having the theme of it known beforehand; most of the work would probably be getting the technology up and running, which is more or less amortized by me allowing previously-used engines and game makers.

Quote:Again with buttons - is the one button requirement flexible, that is as long as it remains a game that is played with his just button [per player], it is ok. For example is it ok to use standard controls for things like a title menu, graphics setup, multiplayer connection/chat. Also, you said no mouse/joystick, but is it alright to allow the game to use a mouse/joystick button (for example if you want one machine multiplayer - it would be easier if one person uses a button on the keyboard, and the other uses a mouse button)

More than one button only if it is intended for multiplayer (i.e. hotseat) or if it works on the menu system -- high score entry, for example. Again, final word: one button per player ONLY WHILE PLAYING: multiple buttons can be used in the front-end (menus, etc)
More than one button only if it is intended for multiplayer (i.e. hotseat) or if it works on the menu system -- high score entry, for example. Again, final word: one button per player ONLY WHILE PLAYING: multiple buttons can be used in the front-end (menus, etc)

Ok, so as long as we remain within the spirit of the competition, that the game itself is played with only one button per player without the aid of any non-button inputs, it's within the rules.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement