Space for Unity refugees?

Started by
37 comments, last by BoredMormon 7 years, 9 months ago

Is their forum software really that bad? :o

It's amazingly terrible. At the moment the 'post' button is broken on mobile. And that gives you a general feel for how the whole thing is running.

I wouldn't bet on it - they seem to be fairly stubborn about keeping the new forum.
Either way, we'll see how it goes. Meanwhile I'll see if there's a forum section to haunt.

I've heard that a roll back is at least being considered. But its a fair way from being considered to actually happening.
Advertisement

I didn't even know this site existed until BoredMormon linked to it on the Unity forums. I probably need to spread out on a few other sites anyway.

So, I am yet another Unity hobbyist, and have been since I started using it for my Master's thesis a few years ago. When I'm not making games, I work as a software engineer in the telecoms industry, which has killed the limited desire I ever had to make any multiplayer games. I can also speak Irish, not that this is any real use...ach is maith liom a bheith ag cur isteach ar daoine leí :P

Just joined here, and I've already found a lot of interesting topics & discussion in the forum that I could get into :wub:

And whoa, this text editor is way better than the new Unity Forum!

Way slick and smoother.

I think I will be staying here for long during my procrastinations! :P

Hello and welcome all :) hope you find this place a new friendly home from home :D

Consider me a potential refugee as well. Being able to easily tell where one post ends and another begins, what is a quote and what isn't, have multiquote functionality back, and respond to a thread without having to load a separate page from a very slow server are already improvements.

I want to hold a referendum. Its obvious the lounge has suffered greatly from gamedev.net's mismanagement of inmigrants, allowing them to walk freely into the union, without ever contributing anything back. I say the Lounge does not need gamedev.net, neither it needs to support its less populated subforums, that have been stagnant for not accomodating to the latest dank memes, unlike the Lounge.

I vote for making the Lounge great again.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

I've heard that a roll back is at least being considered. But its a fair way from being considered to actually happening.

Still the best news I've heard today though. I want to believe!

I have to say though, here are specialized sub forums that I'm likely to stick around for. Game music forum! <3

I want to hold a referendum. Its obvious the lounge has suffered greatly from gamedev.net's mismanagement of inmigrants, allowing them to walk freely into the union, without ever contributing anything back. I say the Lounge does not need gamedev.net, neither it needs to support its less populated subforums, that have been stagnant for not accomodating to the latest dank memes, unlike the Lounge. I vote for making the Lounge great again.

Sounds vaguely familiar to this ^^

https://community.unity.com/t5/General-Discussion/Making-the-Forums-Great-Again/m-p/2644592#U2644592

I've been to numerous events and listened to talks, and almost always, a unity employee is on a panel. They say the same thing: Their greatest asset is the community they've built. They stress this over and over, and how much their company values their community. They claim it is one of the things which set them apart from other engines. I have a hard time believing that Unity would suddenly decide to take its most prized possession and decide it's no longer important. Is it more likely that unity has put their company at risk by doing something which hurts their community? Or is it more likely that a few members of this million person community are unhappy about some new community guideline? Remember, Unity has millions of people using their software, and a portion of those are active unity community members, and of that percentage, there may be some who detract from the focus of the community (helping each other make games).

Anyways, I'm totally disconnected from the Unity community since I use the Unreal Engine. Maybe I'm totally wrong, but I'd need more substantial proof than just a few random internet posts by possibly disaffected people from that community.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if GameDev.net had a forum for Unreal and Unity, but my expectation is that I wouldn't get a lot of value out of the UE4 side. If I have a question about UE4, I post on the UE4 forum or answerhub. The chances are much higher that I'll get a timely and quality response, possibly from an epic employee. I see GameDev.net being more of a engine and language agnostic knowledge base, so if GameDev.net started to create forums for specific engines, there's a good chance that we'd have to create forums for CryEngine, LumberYard, Havok, etc, and I imagine a few of those would have very little activity. Anyways, that's my $0.02 and I don't run this site, so I leave this as a consideration for those who do and for the community here :)

I see GameDev.net being more of a engine and language agnostic knowledge base, so if GameDev.net started to create forums for specific engines, there's a good chance that we'd have to create forums for CryEngine, LumberYard, Havok, etc, and I imagine a few of those would have very little activity. Anyways, that's my $0.02 and I don't run this site, so I leave this as a consideration for those who do and for the community here :)

This is sort of how I see it as well. Already, the API forum isn't super-duper active, and further fragmenting it by splitting off Unity and UE forums is probably a waste. Any engine-specific questions are probably fine in API, and anything else is probably fine in Game or General, IMO.

Welcome to the new members/refugees.

I've been to numerous events and listened to talks, and almost always, a unity employee is on a panel. They say the same thing: Their greatest asset is the community they've built. They stress this over and over, and how much their company values their community. They claim it is one of the things which set them apart from other engines. I have a hard time believing that Unity would suddenly decide to take its most prized possession and decide it's no longer important.

I'm sure they had good intentions, like rebooting the wiki and linking it to the forum, which makes a lot of sense. The problem is that they rolled out a broken trainwreck of a forum (just sign up and try to use it for a while, you'll see) against the advice of moderators, who have been pillars of the community for years, and then didn't roll back the forum to the old software, in spite of over 1000 complaint posts and core members leaving left and right. I've seen forum communities "die" over much less intrusive changes. I don't doubt they have good intentions for their community, but their actions speak a different language, no logical explanation has been given and left up to speculation people don't come to any positive conclusions.

Anyways, I'm totally disconnected from the Unity community since I use the Unreal Engine. Maybe I'm totally wrong, but I'd need more substantial proof than just a few random internet posts by possibly disaffected people from that community.

If you are interested to see it first hand, it's probably best you check out the two big feedback threads:

https://community.unity.com/t5/Welcome/New-forum-feedback-thread/td-p/2631825

https://community.unity.com/t5/General-Discussion/New-Unity-forums-look/td-p/2642966

Design changes always receive some amount of backlash, but this is orders of magnitude worse than what's to be expected from a layout change, even from a bad one. We've lost soooo much functionality compared to the old forum, you wouldn't believe it.

But I'm trying to leave all the negativity these changes have caused behind, and make a fresh start here. I just wanted to give you a bit of an explanation and links, in case you want to take a look yourself. :)

I see GameDev.net being more of a engine and language agnostic knowledge base

As a noob who just arrived here that's what it looked to me too, and I think it's a good thing. =)

Welcome to the new members/refugees.

Thanks, this really seems to be a friendly place :).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement