Another evolution in my project: Genegrafter
Looking back, it's been quite some time since I posted and a lot has changed. For the better I hope.
I started with a game called iHero that was basically nothing more than a Mafia Wars clone with a superhero skinning. Looking at it now it's a bit embarrassing (both in design and code) but I think that also reminds me how much I've learned since then.
I'd like to start posting more details over the next few months as I work on finishing up the successor to the iHero project: Genegrafter.
During the course of development I found myself pulled in many directions while trying to create a full blown IP. One of which resulted in the following Kickstarter project: Genegrafter
In an attempt to simplify some game mechanics within the video game, I started creating physical representations of each item, character, and ability in the game using index cards. This really helped me to visualize how powers stacked and interacted in a less abstract way. But as you can see, it actually ran away with a life of its own and I plan on using the card game that came out of it as a mini-game within the Genegrafter video game.
I also participated in NaNoWriMo (a month long event in November in which authors write a book of 50K words or more from start to finish during the month) which helped me to flesh out my characters and story for the game. The goal is to outline each of these elements and hopefully shed some insight as to how the Genegrafter video game was managed from start to finish and, hopefully, becomes a recognized IP in its own right.
Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I look forward to sharing more with you soon.